[SOLVED] USB 3.0 port only works if cable is not fully plugged in

ACosta77

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
I am on the latest Windows 10 drivers, my motherboard is the GIGABYTE B450M DS3H.

So I had this error (Device Descriptor request failed) when plugging in my phone through my front USB 3.0 port. It only worked on the 2.0 ports but the 3.0 ones wouldn't work. Tried multiple fixes I could find on google, none of them helped.

Even tried my back ports, all the same. So I tried again on my front port but I noticed when I plugged in, my Android phone showed the notification it was detected (before it would only charge) and I could choose between the charge only, transfer photos, etc. before it stopped working again. Pushed the USB cable a bit up and... it works as it should immediately? Why is that? I am bamboozled.

vyrule

Commendable
Jun 26, 2017
Have you tried a different cable? try not to wriggle it too much, you'll probably damage something, could even be your phone port, try cleaning that out with a paper clip, quite common for those to get filled with junk...

USB 3.0 is notorious for having issues, hence why they released 3.1 so quickly after with no real benefits (other than not being useless). but that's an unlikely case though, it's usually something more simple (y)

ACosta77

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
Have you tried a different cable? try not to wriggle it too much, you'll probably damage something, could even be your phone port, try cleaning that out with a paper clip, quite common for those to get filled with junk...

USB 3.0 is notorious for having issues, hence why they released 3.1 so quickly after with no real benefits (other than not being useless). but that's an unlikely case though, it's usually something more simple (y)
Sadly it's the only cable I have that passes data so I can't test with any other. It's fine in USB 2.0 but a bit funky in 3.0