[SOLVED] USB 3.0 Problems with Quest 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2020
I can't be the only one with this issue, but I'm using an MSI Z390 paired with an i5-9400F, and my only USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 is on the motherboard IO. But the Oculus Desktop application only says that it is 2.0. I tried installing different drivers, clean reinstall, different cables, but each says 2.0. I tried to use USB-A 3.0 ports at the front of my case, but even those didn't work, so I don't know if my USB 3.0 isn't working or something. My Quest 2 works fine with 2.0 but 3.0 enables 90hz mode, and I got my Quest 2 with the hope I could use 90hz.

Solution
Replacement cable arrived, it's successfully reporting as USB 3.0

It also fits much tighter in the socket, so I suspect my first cable had a manufacturing defect or some damage before it got to me.

Lutfij

Titan
Just to rule out the headset or ports as faulty, take the headset to a donor system which has native USB 3.0 support to see if you're able to get that 90Hz mark. Also, mind sharing the model for your MSI Z390 board?

On second thoughts, best list your full system's specs. Also, check and see if you have any BIOS updates pending for your motherboard.

Nov 14, 2020
Just to rule out the headset or ports as faulty, take the headset to a donor system which has native USB 3.0 support to see if you're able to get that 90Hz mark. Also, mind sharing the model for your MSI Z390 board?

On second thoughts, best list your full system's specs. Also, check and see if you have any BIOS updates pending for your motherboard.

My Motherboard is the MSI Z390 Gaming Plus (sorry I didn't specify earlier), and I installed the Oculus application on a second PC that had USB-C 3.0 and that still only recognized it as USB 2.0 regardless of the cable I used.

EDIT: My Specs Include

i5-9400F
MSI Z390 Gaming Plus
EVGA 1660 Ti XC Ultra
Corsair TX-650
32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021
Im having the same issue also. Ill link my specs, but my motherboard only has a "1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 (up to 20Gbps) ports (Type-C)" so i know its not that. Could be my cable, but im pretty positive its the headset.

My Setup:

i9-9940X
ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
Seasonic Focus 1000
64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600 Cas 18
NZXT Kraken 360 AIO
970 PRO NVME

Cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NDHP9FJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jan 2, 2021
I'm having the same problem too!!! Go figure! LOL! Not funny, I know! I've tried two different USB 3.x compliant cables, still has a 2.0 connection. I even tried the supplied short cable, still a 2.0 connection! What gives?!?!? Too, I even updated my BIOS (just thinking), AND went and downloaded AMD X570 chipset drivers (mainly SMBUS drivers) from AMD website. Still USB 2.0 connection. I think this is a proprietary "block" they put in the Oculus V23 software &/or firmware. Just my thoughts.

Would be curious to see and know if ANYONE (besides oculus) can resolve our issues here! BTW, I did submit a request through Oculus...we will see (fingers crossed)!!!

<<<1st EDIT>>>: This morning, I even tried going into device manager and removing/uninstalling ALL USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controllers. I rebooted after this, still no change; Oculus still says USB2.0 connection.

Note: If you have your mouse and keyboard via USB and to USB3.0 ports, you will loose input, obviously. Mine were, so I removed them bottom to top, in Device Manager.

Too, after my BIOS edit, I enabled Thunderbolt Support, still no change. Also, remember if you do update your BIOS, be sure to change your memory profiles back to where you had them, to include any O.C. settings, or anything else.

Still looking forward to ANYONE resolving this issue....as, 30+ years of computer H/W experience, and the insanity of DOS & Windows, hasn't helped me in the least. Maybe it's something simple I'm overlooking, OR Oculus is locking this feature so you will have to use their proprietary fiber cable. If that ends up being the case, SHAME ON YOU OCULUS!

<<<2nd EDIT>>>: Today, I went ahead and broke-down and ordered an Oculus Cable from Wal-Mart, should be here by Tuesday 5th JAN 2021. As, I went all over town this afteroon trying to find one locally, or one a cable that "claims" USB 3.1 support whether its Type A or Type C on one end...I could not find one...so, again, I ordered one, online. SIGH!!!!!

You would think that since I spent over $600 for the Quest 2 package, They would at least provide you a cable that can give you FULL FUNCTION of the claimed 90hz refresh rate, by default....again, SHAME ON YOU OCULUS!

I will follow up on this thread with you guys one day next week to let you guys know of the connection status, refresh rate selections, etc,

Jason

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
ASROCK X570M Pro 4
XFX RX 5700 XT (THICC III Ultra)
2x Crucial P1's NvMe's
32GB DDR4 (corsair mainstream) 3200 Cas 16

<<<UPDATE>>>: I went ahead and broke-down and bought the Oculus cable, dag-gum-it!!!

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021
Same problem here, even using the link cable. The Quest 2 now refuses to recognise any usb 3 port or cable, even tried buying a powered hub but no joy there either. Infuriating, as when I first purchased it it worked no problem. Can only assume either an oculus or windows update has broken it.

Jan 2, 2021
Too, I've also noticed that if I play a standalone game (not thru steam or steamVR gui but thru the Oculus Link and Virtual Desktop), such as DCS or FS2020 (non-VR flight sims, but with VR capability), that when I exit these two games, I notice that the Oculus software Quest 2 device propeties, the USB 3.0 link goes back down to a USB 2.0 connection, evwn though you manually selected a refresh rate and resolution, and because of this, the refresh rate defaults back to 72Hz at 1.0x res. Be aware of this guys. It's annoying...so, I simply unplug my oculus cable from the headset and reconnect it. This restores the headset back to USB 3.0 (if using the Oculus or Anker cable, and the Quest 2 device properties back to where you had them. Gotta love Oculus!

-Jason

Jan 9, 2021
Hello there! Im having the exact same problem and it is driving me MAD!!! Im using the same cable as before, but the headset is diferent. I sold my old One to a friend and bought another one this week. So yesterday i tried for the first time to use the oculus link but got stuck on the USB 2.0 problem... I've tried also on the laptop, which i have already used with the same cable on the previous headset.. same.. did a clean Windows install on the desktop and still the same... Next thing i'll do Will be testing
again on the headset i sold.. appreciate your Help on sharing your experiences..

Jan 9, 2021
Hello there! Im having the exact same problem and it is driving me MAD!!! Im using the same cable as before, but the headset is diferent. I sold my old One to a friend and bought another one this week. So yesterday i tried for the first time to use the oculus link but got stuck on the USB 2.0 problem... I've tried also on the laptop, which i have already used with the same cable on the previous headset.. same.. did a clean Windows install on the desktop and still the same... Next thing i'll do Will be testing
again on the headset i sold.. appreciate your Help on sharing your experiences..

Let me know how it goes, going to try installing the oculus software on my laptop and see if it will recognise usb 3 via it's in-built USB C port as well.

Jan 2, 2021
Dude...no problem bro. Glad to help where I can.

I think it's a proprietary thing with Oculus. If you want the usb 3.0 speed, you have to either buy and use the $80 Oculus Cable, or the $50 Anker cable...your choice. As, a regular "high speed" usb 3.x cable isn't sufficient enough (throughput-wise), or its wiring pin-out/config/strapping isn't the same as the Oculus cable nor the Anker. Too, make sure you plug into a USB 3.1x port (either type A or C), but make sure its a 3.1x port, not just a regular 3.0 port.

Too, don't bother wasting your time and efforts with Oculus support.

Good Luck!

Jan 9, 2021
Dude...no problem bro. Glad to help where I can.

I think it's a proprietary thing with Oculus. If you want the usb 3.0 speed, you have to either buy and use the $80 Oculus Cable, or the $50 Anker cable...your choice. As, a regular "high speed" usb 3.x cable isn't sufficient enough (throughput-wise), or its wiring pin-out/config/strapping isn't the same as the Oculus cable nor the Anker. Too, make sure you plug into a USB 3.1x port (either type A or C), but make sure its a 3.1x port, not just a regular 3.0 port.

Too, don't bother wasting your time and efforts with Oculus support.

Good Luck!

I'm using the $80 cable atm and it's only picking it up as usb 2.0 unfortunately.

Jan 2, 2021
Oh?! Did the Oculus Quest 2 Device Properties use to say that you had a USB 3.0 connection at anytime?! Then that is something totally different alltogether.

1.) Might be a degraded or comprimized Oculus cable, or the port on your OQ2 is messed up.
2.) You PC may have a USB 3.0 issue (port, or driver, or resource conflict.
3.) If your pc has a usb 3.1x port, use that instead. As, with mine, when i plug my Oculus cable into any of my standard usb 3.0 ports, it will only connect at 2.0 speeds, but when I connect it to one of two of my usb 3.1x ports (type A or type C), it shows the connection established is at USB 3.0 speeds.
4.) Uncheck any usb power saving options in Device manager all usb hub controller properties
5.) Readjust power options for max usb power output in control panel power controls.
6.) At the BIOS level, make sure usb 3.0 "high speed" provisions are enabled ( or something to that effect).

Keep at it! Good Luck!

Jan 9, 2021
Oh?! Did the Oculus Quest 2 Device Properties use to say that you had a USB 3.0 connection at anytime?! Then that is something totally different alltogether.

1.) Might be a degraded or comprimized Oculus cable, or the port on your OQ2 is messed up.
2.) You PC may have a USB 3.0 issue (port, or driver, or resource conflict.
3.) If your pc has a usb 3.1x port, use that instead. As, with mine, when i plug my Oculus cable into any of my standard usb 3.0 ports, it will only connect at 2.0 speeds, but when I connect it to one of two of my usb 3.1x ports (type A or type C), it shows the connection established is at USB 3.0 speeds.
4.) Uncheck any usb power saving options in Device manager all usb hub controller properties
5.) Readjust power options for max usb power output in control panel power controls.
6.) At the BIOS level, make sure usb 3.0 "high speed" provisions are enabled ( or something to that effect).

Keep at it! Good Luck!

It could be 1 for sure, though the cable has barely been used. 2 is my best guess, but I've tried all sorts of driver reinstalls with no luck so far. 3, 4, 5 and 6 have all already been covered, none worked.

It's why this has been so frustrating, never had the problem pop up until recently so I figure it's a software update somewhere that's done it.

Jan 2, 2021
It could be 1 for sure, though the cable has barely been used. 2 is my best guess, but I've tried all sorts of driver reinstalls with no luck so far. 3, 4, 5 and 6 have all already been covered, none worked.

It's why this has been so frustrating, never had the problem pop up until recently so I figure it's a software update somewhere that's done it.

Yeah, I hear you man. It really is VERY frustrating.

So, yeah, I concluded even early on that it's mainly one of two things or both:

1.) V23 software is limiting the usb 3.0 bandwidth "someway" or "somehow"...
2.) You have to use their proprietary cable
3.) If using (via a forced automatic update for Quest 2 users), to obtain a USB 3.x connection speed, you MUST use their proprietary Oculus cable or the Anker cable (equivalent).

Jan 9, 2021
Yeah, I hear you man. It really is VERY frustrating.

So, yeah, I concluded even early on that it's mainly one of two things or both:

1.) V23 software is limiting the usb 3.0 bandwidth "someway" or "somehow"...
2.) You have to use their proprietary cable
3.) If using (via a forced automatic update for Quest 2 users), to obtain a USB 3.x connection speed, you MUST use their proprietary Oculus cable or the Anker cable (equivalent).

Just tried the official link cable in the laptop, also not registering as usb 3.0

Will try going through oculus support to see if they will send a replacement cable, the third party usb 3.1 should arrive tomorrow to test as well.

Jan 2, 2021
Bro, I wouldn't bother...as, I also tried that. See, I purchased their Oculus Cable, it came in, I hooked it up, and guess what....it was partially defective and only allowed usb 2.0 connectivity. I went back and forth for over a week with them over the cable...i got tired of that and bought myself another Oculus cable...180 bucks (two cables worth) later, i now have usb 3.0 connection speed (when connecting to a usb 3.1x port only). So, you do what you wanna do, good luck.

Jan 9, 2021
Amazon basics cable arrived, at first the quest was refusing to recognise any cable being plugged in which is a new prob. Had to go to device manager and reinstall the oculus drivers.

Now it's recognizing the amazonbasics cable as usb 3.0 cable no problem, and still says oculus link cable is 2.0

So it's definitely the cable.

Feb 20, 2021
Some of you may be plugging it in backwards. I have a USB-C cable and when I plugged it in one way it still showed as USB 2.0 but when I switched ends (computer/headset) it showed up as USB 3.0 1.7Gbps (through a thunderbolt 3 port). Gigabyte Z370 Designare

Jan 9, 2021
Some of you may be plugging it in backwards. I have a USB-C cable and when I plugged it in one way it still showed as USB 2.0 but when I switched ends (computer/headset) it showed up as USB 3.0 1.7Gbps (through a thunderbolt 3 port). Gigabyte Z370 Designare

Yeah I tried that, no luck. I sent the cable back and oculus are sending a new one my way, so I should find it if it was software/hardware conflict or it was the cable soon enough.

Jan 9, 2021
Replacement cable arrived, it's successfully reporting as USB 3.0

It also fits much tighter in the socket, so I suspect my first cable had a manufacturing defect or some damage before it got to me.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.