Question Usb 3.0 stick dosent work in usb 3.0 port

Dec 10, 2018
So, i have this kingston datatraveler that out of nowhere stopped working on usb 3.0 ports, not just on my laptop, but on other computers too, but it works just fine on usb 2.0.
WHY?

USB 3.0 uses more physical connections than USB 2.0 does.

Chances are that you have a bad contact, or circuit trace in the Jump drive, in the USB 3.0 exclusive circuitry, forcing the Jump drive to fallback to USB 2.0 operation.

Your best move would be to back-up the data from it while you can, and replace it.

########### EDIT #############

In terms of reliability, I haven't been impressed by Kingston--they used to be the king in the Dram segment a long time back, but just haven't been able to make the transition to reliable NAND technology.

SanDisk, on the other hand, is about as reliable as you can get in the portable flash market.

Dec 10, 2018
well it doesnt look like any of contacts are bad, bent but i dont recall to ever drop it, i used it to flash win 10 on it and had to use disk part to get back my full disk space because it always changed the size to a 32 gb when i used the mediatool from microsoft to flash it but i dont think that caused it to not work