[SOLVED] USB 3.0 wifi adapter disconnect and reconnect when ever switching from 5 GHz network to 2 GHz network

nadeejalm

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
I'm currently using a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 adapter and it keeps doing this. Adapter I used before Netgear also did this. Issue is if I go back to 5 GHz network I get lower speeds similar to 2 GHz network. I think there is a USB mode switching between those 2 networks.
Is there a way to stop this? Can't I use usb 3.0 in 2 GHz network as well?

P.S :
I have managed to resolve the issue by changing the Wireless Network Mode of my 5GHz router to AC-only. (Previously it was AC/N-mixed which made wifi adapter not needing to go back to high speed mode when switching from 2.4 GHz network since 5 GHz network also supported 'N' .) By making 5 GHz AC-only, wifi adapter is now forced to switch between USB fast and slow modes.

But I still don't know why there are two modes implemented in those USB adapters.:unsure:

Last edited:
Solution
The USB interface is independent of the WIFI band. The receiver tries to use the strongest signal. If they are about equal, then it can swap back and forth. You might fix this by LOWERING the transmit power of the 2.4Ghz on the router or if you want 5Ghz or by LOWERING the transmit power of the 5Ghz on the router if you want to stick to 2.4Ghz.

kanewolf

Titan
The USB interface is independent of the WIFI band. The receiver tries to use the strongest signal. If they are about equal, then it can swap back and forth. You might fix this by LOWERING the transmit power of the 2.4Ghz on the router or if you want 5Ghz or by LOWERING the transmit power of the 5Ghz on the router if you want to stick to 2.4Ghz.

Solution

nadeejalm

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
There is no issue of disconnecting from current network randomly. I'm saying when I need to switch between the 2 bands wifi adapter's USB mode also gets switched. That's the issue I'm having. Sorry If I didn't express it clearly.

nadeejalm

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
The USB interface is independent of the WIFI band.
2.4Ghz can't push enough data to matter. USB 2.0 is 400Mbit. 2.4Ghz will probably top out at 150Mbit (maybe 75Mbit). Don't worry about it.
But in my case if I move back to 5 GHz network from 2 GHz network I get lower speed. In order get 5 GHz speed I have to restart the PC and let wifi adapter connect to 5 GHz network in 1st try.

I can clearly hear USB disconnecting and reconnecting notification sound from windows when ever I switch network

nadeejalm

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
I have managed to resolve the issue by changing the Wireless Network Mode of my 5GHz router to AC-only. (Previously it was AC/N-mixed which made wifi adapter not needing to go back to high speed mode when switching from 2.4 GHz network since 5 GHz network also supported 'N' .) By making 5 GHz AC-only, wifi adapter is now forced to switch between USB fast and slow modes.

But I still don't know why there are two modes implemented in those USB adapters.:unsure: