[SOLVED] Usb 3.1 type c gen 2 connector compatible with a 3.2 type c gen 2 connector?

Mar 18, 2021
Just built a pc with in the pure base 500dx from be quiet. The case has a type c 3.1 gen 2 connector. My motherboard is a msi b550 tomahawk with only a 3.2 gen 2 header. I plugged the connector into the mobo, expecting it to work but the connection doesn’t show up in msi’s bios and I don’t currently have any type c peripherals to test the port. So my question is, are these compatible, and if not did I just fry my mobo’s header.

Solution
Just built a pc with in the pure base 500dx from be quiet. The case has a type c 3.1 gen 2 connector. My motherboard is a msi b550 tomahawk with only a 3.2 gen 2 header. I plugged the connector into the mobo, expecting it to work but the connection doesn’t show up in msi’s bios and I don’t currently have any type c peripherals to test the port. So my question is, are these compatible, and if not did I just fry my mobo’s header.

No you didn't fry anything and you have to plug something in for a connection to show in Windows. Device Manager will show the motherboard USB hub listed.

If the USB header fits the socket on the motherboard the only things that will be impacted are data rates and charging speeds. You may or may not get...

No you didn't fry anything and you have to plug something in for a connection to show in Windows. Device Manager will show the motherboard USB hub listed.

If the USB header fits the socket on the motherboard the only things that will be impacted are data rates and charging speeds. You may or may not get full 3.2 gen 2 speeds but it'll still work just fine.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dERa_bMDvcg

Solution