[SOLVED] USB 3 ports running at USB 2 speeds after disconnecting PC from power

vkatsarelias

Reputable
Feb 11, 2018
I connect my external HDD always on the same USB 3 port on the back of my PC, which runs flawlessly, at the expected speeds.

Two days ago, I had to change a fuse on my panel, so I shut my PC down and turned off the power strip. Changed the fuse, turned on the PC, and since then my external HDD (which is connected to the same USB 3 port, mind you) runs at USB 2.0 speeds (max 35 MB/s).

Before anyone says "it's the HDD's / the HDD controller's fault", it's not, since it has to do with the PC not having power (intentionally, like I did 2 days ago or unintentionally, as in a power outage). Plus, I checked with Hard Disk Sentinel and everything is good.

Now, I can test the "power loss" thing again by turning off my PC and then the power strip for a few minutes, but I find it a pain in the butt to do so, plus you don't know when another power outage will occur that will revert the USB 3 ports to USB 2 speed.

Does anyone know why my PC does this?

Specs:
  • Dell OptiPlex 9010 (Motherboard: Dell Inc JZYR6V1)
  • Intel Core i5-3550 @ 3.3 GHz
  • Windows 10 Pro 20H2
  • 16 GB DDR3 RAM
Also, here's the USB controller's drop-down view in Device Manager:

AWggkio.png

EDIT: I ran USB Device Tree Viewer and I found out that it has no problem reading the flag telling my drive is capable of SuperSpeed (USB 3.0), but it's not operating at a SuperSpeed or higher speed because "the port is not capable of USB 3.0".

K3USVth.png

Last edited: