USB adapter advice needed

Sep 16, 2018
I will be getting a home workstation requiring at least 50 MB per second download speed for the work I do. Unfortunately due to wiring in the home, I cannot set up my cable modem in the office room for a direct ethernet connection to the workstation (this is the recommended setup) and it has to be next to the TV in the living room. The company will not permit opening the desktop computer to install a Wi-Fi card.

Can anyone recommend a reliable Wi-Fi USB adapter that would allow me to have a stable connection on the other side of the house while preserving a good download speed ( at least 50 Mbps). The home Internet package gives 150 Mbps.

Sep 16, 2018
Thanks for the suggestions. kanewolf, do you have experience with powerline (AV2) networking - any issues with signal going through about 2 or 3 walls through to the other side of the house, but same floor?

kanewolf

Titan

Powerline networking doesn't care about walls. The electrical infrastructure of the house provides the transmission medium. Here is a primer article -- https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/network-switch-guide,4047.html

The current standard is AV2 MIMO . Those are the terms you want to look for. Most adapters that are AV2 MIMO show a 2000 "performance". You won't get gigabit performance. You should easily get the 50Mbit you require.

Sep 16, 2018
Last question hopefully: are there any safety or damage risk concerns with such a device using the electrical circuitry such as short circuiting? Thanks again.