[SOLVED] USB and On-board Sound Crackling ASUS Z170-A, HDMI Sound Works

dmreichard

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
The other day I noticed the sound began to crackle through my 5.1 system when gaming, or moving the mouse around while watching a YouTube video. My system exhibits the same issue using a USB headset (Rosewill RHTS-8206).

I scoured the forums and tried many of the suggestions made by prior users encountering this issue. I have tried:

-Using DPC latency checking software to go through potentially misbehaving drivers.
-Update all drivers.
-Flash BIOS to newest version.
-Completely wipe HD and reinstall Windows 10.
-Remove graphics card entirely.

Finally, I tried plugging my monitor into the graphics card with an HDMI cable, and I didn't hear any crackling. I plugged my speakers into the monitor's headphone-out port, and again no crackling.

In conclusion, the sound pops and crackles using the onboard analog sound or USB headset, but not through my graphics card's HDMI.

Since I am assuming that the USB headset shouldn't be using the onboard sound but exhibits the same issue, I can't figure out why it doesn't work but the HDMI does. I feel as though I have tried everything aside from replacing the entire motherboard, if that is even the issue. I considered trying an internal sound card, but since the USB headset doesn't work I'm afraid to buy one in fear that it will exhibit the same problem. Any suggestions at this point are appreciated.

System Specs:
ASUS Z170-A Motherboard
Intel i3-6100 CPU
8GB Kingston Hyper X Fury DDR4 2666
NVidia GTX950
250GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD
1TB WD Internal HD
Rosewill Valens Series 600W Power Supply

Solution
This was an interesting problem. I solved it by literally overclocking my computer, specifically the BCLK needed raised. XMP memory profile has remained enabled.

Just a weird hunch I acted on. Moral of the story is - if you have this problem and have messed with drivers, power settings, BIOS flashes, etc.... try just overclocking the computer slightly. :)

dmreichard

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
This was an interesting problem. I solved it by literally overclocking my computer, specifically the BCLK needed raised. XMP memory profile has remained enabled.

Just a weird hunch I acted on. Moral of the story is - if you have this problem and have messed with drivers, power settings, BIOS flashes, etc.... try just overclocking the computer slightly. :)

Solution