USB boot from EFI Shell

momchil.vladov

Honorable
Oct 8, 2017
Hi,
My brother bought a low priced budget laptop (Alcor Snugbook Q1421). It came with Win 10 Home x64. I want to put Win 10 Pro x86 or Win 7 Pro x86.
I've made a USB 2.0 Flash and put a bootable windows via Microsoft Creation Tool. The USB boots normally on other laptops.
When the flash drive is in, I can see it and choose to boot from it, but nothing happens.
When the flash drive is not in the USB port, there is no option to boot from an external device. Only from Windows Boot Manager and UEFI: Built-in Efi...
There is no option to to change UEFI to Legacy.
There is no options for secure boot.
Fast boot - doesen't matter if enabled or disabled.
There is boot override, but nothing happens when I choose the USB.
When I choose to boot from UEFI: Built-in Efi..., it opens "EFI Shell version 2.40 [5.11] Current running mode 1.1.2" and there I am lost.

Please tell me how to make it boot from the USB or to change the windows any other way.

If there is no way to make it x86, I am open to suggestions how to make it Win 10 Pro x64 and after that I will upgrade to 8GB RAM (now is 4GB).

Thank You

popatim

Titan
Win7 will be very difficult as no drivers were officially written for this Cherry Trail based notebook.
8Gb ram is impossible, 4GB is the max supported unfortunately.

The flash drive would need to be in Fat32 format to be seen from within the EFI shell

When you are booting from the flashdrive, are you getting to it by pressing the Boot Options key that is displayed at the same time as the option to enter the bios? Or just letting the system find it on its own?

momchil.vladov

Honorable
Oct 8, 2017

Hi,
Thank You for the answer. I didn't know that 4GB RAM is the max and that Windows 7 probably won't work. Thank You.
In this case - Windows 10 Pro x86 is the only answer.
The USB is formated in Fat32.
When I start the laptop, if I press F2 it goes into Bios. If the USB is in the port, on the Boot override there is option to choose it (the USB). When I chose it the screen flashes for half a second and nothing happens - it stays in Bios.
On startup if I press F5 it opens the Boot menu. If the flash is in, it asks me if I want to boot from the USB, The Windows Boot Manager or the EFI Shell or if I want to enter bios. If I choose USB, nothing happens - the laptop goes into windows and starts.
On Startup, if USB is in, there is no text "Press any key to boot from.." or similar. If I dont press anything - it loads the windows.

momchil.vladov

Honorable
Oct 8, 2017

I haven't tried to connect with alcor - after all they recommed Win Home x64 and I want to change it. I suppose they will say that there is no need.

When the laptop was ready and I put some programs - MS Office, K-Lite codec pack etc. and gave it to my brother he told me that when he was streaming online movies, clips from Youtube etc. the audio and video were not synced.

I've tried it - i streamed a movie. At the beginning is normal. After some time it starts to get unsynced. The laptop is not hot or anything. I've tried it on Chrome and Firefox Quantum - all the same.

I've readed on some forums that this was annoying bug for Win 10 Home and the recommendation is to put Win 10 Pro.
I've checked all the drivers and they were ok. X86 takes less RAM than X64. My friend suggested that x86 will have more available RAM for the graphic card to take from it.

About the EFI Shell - if the USB is in the port (and yes - I've tried them all) isn't there some command to boot from it while I am in EFI Shell or something.