Question USB-C power port for data?

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
I need to get a hub that connects to Thunderbolt/USB-C on my Mac. The hubs I see have USB-3 ports, an Ethernet port (which is all nice) and a "USB-C Power Port". My question is whether that USB-C power port is JUST for power, or can it be used as a regular USB-C port for data transfer? I would very much like the latter, because once I plug this thing into my computer USB-C port, I have one less USB-C port on my computer to use for other stuff. The latest iMacs have only two Thunderbolt/USB-C ports, so such ports are kind of precious.

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
OK, so if I hook a disk drive, for instance, up to such a port, it won't work, right? That's crappy. Why would you make a USB-C port that doesn't work like a USB-C port?

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
Yes, and my point is that it's a USB-C port that can't be used as a regular USB-C port. It should be advertised as a charging port that happens to fit in a USB-C slot. Does a regular USB-C data port have charging capability?

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
that what I said. unless it said it is for power only, it would do both.
min usbc does data.
So, as I said, why make a USB-C port that only does one function? Why don't ALL USB-C ports allow use for both power and data? I don't recall any power-only USB-A ports. I have to assume that it's a lot harder to engineer them to do both, which seems pretty funny.

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
because everything cost $

Oh, that's why I pay money for these things! Good point. Never understood why I had to do that.

and because that hub is limited to 5Gbit USB transfer, while USB-C is at minimum 10Gbit..so they would get complaints if they would add traces for upstream/downstream data at such low bandwith....
docking stations should give you more connectivity imho

Not sure what you're referring to. Which hub? A quote would help.

Ha ha ha. About ten times more expensive than anything else! Gosh, at that rate, to get more USB-C plugs, I'll just buy another computer.

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
More features cost more $$.

It is less expensive to make something power only, or data only, rather than power + data.
Not everything does everything you want, at the low end price point you want.

That's a little hard to understand, given that fully functional USB-C dongles are dirt cheap. Try again. If you call it USB-C, I don't consider it a "feature" to BE USB-C.

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
Its not just the physical port, but also the circuitry attached,

But in the cheap USB-C dongles, it's the same circuitry that's attached. Besides, in these multifunction devices, offering HDMI, USB-A, Ethernet, etc, there is all kinds of circuitry attached.

Hard to understand the logic in making a non-functional USB-C port in order to save a buck or two.

OK, I think this is what I want. No stupid USB-C "power port". Just a real USB-C port (which, I gather, can function perfectly well as a power port). Oh gosh, it's reasonably priced. Now how would they ever manage to do that with all that expensive circuitry that was required! It's about the same price as units with a USB-C "power port".

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BN7BGNRM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1
this one doesnt have power delivery, so its still half wired usb-c as its only usb-c data without usb-c PD circuitry

Not sure what you're referring to. Which hub? A quote would help.
Loads of them out there, but see this for example.
https://www.amazon.com/UtechSmart-Ethernet-Delivery-Compatible-Chromebook/dp/B07H2ZS1B5
"[100W Power Deliver] USB Type C hub"
this one

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
this one doesnt have power delivery, so its still half wired usb-c as its only usb-c data without usb-c PD circuitry

As to my choice -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BN7BGNRM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1
"USB C 3.1" can provide 100W, can't it? Sounds like power delivery to me. But I don't need power delivery in my USB-C port. I just need data delivery.

Yep, that one has a "power plug", and not a "data plug". That's the example that was being asked for.

Last edited: