[SOLVED] USB chipset replacement

Apr 9, 2020
Good morning. I have a problem with usb ports on laptop, they are not working but there is power. i tried to update drivers, reset windows but no help. i think usb chip-set is somehow damaged, most probably overheating or some other reason. so i wanted to ask is it possible to change it, like order new from ebay and just replace or it's dead forever

Solution
Thats what I meant by CPU chipset. That is the 7 series chipset which would be where most USB will come from. Here is an example of that:

2012-04-10-image-1.jpg

The odds the chipset itself are bad are pretty low. I have had a few Dell laptops where some ports will die and others work just fine. Typicaqlly the solution is to replace the motherboard as the way the chipsets are connected makes it impossible for consumers to replace them, they use BGA and solder them on with no way to access it at least not with normal consumer hardware.
That depends as most modern systems USB is built onto the CPU chipset which would be near impossible to replace as a consumer. Some may have additional USB ports provided by a third party chip from manufactures like ASTek but laptops normally do not have more than 6 ports which most chipsets can provide.

I would say replacement is probably not possible.

Apr 9, 2020
That depends as most modern systems USB is built onto the CPU chipset which would be near impossible to replace as a consumer. Some may have additional USB ports provided by a third party chip from manufactures like ASTek but laptops normally do not have more than 6 ports which most chipsets can provide.

I would say replacement is probably not possible.

thanks for answer, i looked up and found its intel c216 chipset, it's not built onto cpu but built onto one single i/o controller hub, so now i am not sure if its because of chip damage , cause hard drive or sound works well

Thats what I meant by CPU chipset. That is the 7 series chipset which would be where most USB will come from. Here is an example of that:

2012-04-10-image-1.jpg

The odds the chipset itself are bad are pretty low. I have had a few Dell laptops where some ports will die and others work just fine. Typicaqlly the solution is to replace the motherboard as the way the chipsets are connected makes it impossible for consumers to replace them, they use BGA and solder them on with no way to access it at least not with normal consumer hardware.

Solution