USB Composite Device Not Recognized (for Long)

JeppeArne

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
s-l300.jpg

Hi all.

I am unable to run my USB composite device with any stability. The device is a USB to PS/2-splitter (se photo). My OS is Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

The device was intended to connect my PS/2 trackball and PS/2 keyboard to my desktop computer. When I have plugged in the USB composite device with trackball and keyboard connected to it, everything will run fine for maybe 10 minutes, maybe half an hour, some times even more, and then a message will pop up saying: "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows doesn't recognize it." The message is signed Windows Explorer. On the Events-tab under Properties for USB composite device in the Device Manager, it says "Device USB\VID_046D&PID_C52B\5&f6a6a5f&0&9 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match." By the way, Device Manager shows two instances of the USB composite device. I don't know if that is normal.

The driver that installs when I plug the device in is an old Windows one: Version 10.0.17134.1 from 21 June 2006. I have already tried – to the best of my ability – to uninstall USB entries in Device Manager, and rebooted to have them reinstall.

In short: The device works just fine, until it is "thrown off" and I am told it malfunctioned.

Hope you can help.

Last edited:
Try deleting both drivers listed when it's working fine. Then restart, plug back in and see how it works. Has anything else changed though? How old is the device? (Maybe it's breaking) And maybe Windows has received an update which caused this. Wouldn't be the first time something stops being supported.

JeppeArne

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
Thank you, taeioum, I've done as suggested by you, and I've done it several times. However, the message "Device USB\VID_046D&PID_C52B\5&f6a6a5f&0&9 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match" is still there under Events under Properties for the device. Nevertheless, the device has now been functioning stably since yesterday.

Before the device started working stably, I unplugged the USB-receiver of my Logitech M570 trackball, which resulted in Device Manager showing only one instance of USB composite device. I don't know why the M570 dongle would show as a composite device in Device Manager, but it seems that it does, unless I keep it unplugged. Therefore, I have kept the M570-dongle unplugged since yesterday, and it may be the reason why the device has worked stably since yesterday.

I received the device as brand new only a week ago.

JeppeArne

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
I appreciate your positive greeting of my seeming success, taeioum. However, unfortunately the solving of my problem does not seem to be of a permanent nature.

Today when I started my computer after the night, my trackball and keyboard did not function, and I had to unplug the keyboard from the composite device and plug it into the PS/2 port in order to log on to Windows. After restoring yesterday's setup (with keyboard and trackball connected through the USB composite device and the Logitech M570 dongle unplugged), everything has been working well again for several hours). However, the device still registers in Device Manager as "not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match".

I lack the insight to rationally figure out how this problem may be solved. It seems to be SOMEHOW related to the M570-dongle (or at least to another USB device) but also to exist in a way independently of it.

The reason why I go to (and put other people to) all this trouble trying to solve this seemingly unimportant problem is that I find I can control my old PS/2 trackball (Logitech Trackman Marble) way more precisely than I can my wireless Logitech M570 trackball, and that I am very fond of my PS/2 Microsoft Natural Keyboard, which I have used almost every day since October of 1996. And maybe there are others out there who experience similar needs and problems.

I'm right now googling about your issue. As I said before, maybe Windows Update is to blame. Can you try to rollback the driver as shown in the image? https://www.drivethelife.com/uploadfiles/20151023/roll-back-driver.png

If that does not work, try executing an "sfc /scannow" command in Command Prompt started as Administrator. I'd keep the device plugged in during the scan.

I doubt you can download the driver manually from somewhere, have you tried that?

Only trying to help out since you're using a keyboard that is almost as old as I am.. :')

JeppeArne

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
No, taeioum, I haven't tried to find an original driver, as the device is intended to function without any driver being installed. I suppose that means with a Windows driver. Since no original driver has been installed, there is no driver rollback option on the driver tab.

By the way, there is little info to identify the device and its maker. However, there is this string of characters on one side of the converter housing: ZL 2009 3 0066791.8, and on the bar code label on the packing it says: www.cablecc.com and U2-143, which is probably the seller and (his) product-id). But guess the info is not of much use, as the maker does not supply an inherent driver.

The driver that installs when the device is plugged in is an old Windows one: Version 10.0.17134.1 from 21 June 2006.

I'll try the "sfc /scannow" thing. Thanks for the idea.

"Only trying to help out since you're using a keyboard that is almost as old as I am.. :')"
I like that :) Hope it wouldn't matter if part of the outcome were a way of bringing into use an almost as old corded Logitech trackball whch is much more pricise than the M570. :) However, if you think it's doubtful whether any positive outcome would be worth the effort, I would sure not blame you, if you gave up. I'm very grateful for the effort you have already put into this!

JeppeArne

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
I regret to say sfc gave the following result:

"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

However, the device has been working flawlessly since I started the computer this morning. But the "Device ... not migrated ..." note is still there on the Events tab in Device Manager.

I doubt it'll do much good to download the driver manually, but who knows. In Device Manager, open the properties of the device, and instead of the Driver tab you checked for the rollback option (you said it was not available, was it greyed out or not there at all?) check the Details tab, then for "Property" choose Hardware Ids. You can try googling the VID_ and PID_ codes for the vendor of the product or chip. That has helped me in finding the only working drivers for my devices in the past. If you can, download it and store it in a specific folder. Then make the device use that specific driver on the Driver tab of the device.

I'm starting to think the Logitech mouse thing is becoming a coincidence though. The rollback option was probably made impossible because of manually deleting the driver since I said it might work.....

Too bad the SFC scan didn't do any good, though. I guess that on the other hand it's great it's been working for now. I don't think there's even much more to try if using a manually downloaded driver doesn't work.

JeppeArne

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
On February 20, I received a PS/2 to PS/2 keyboard and mouse splitter (StarTech KYC1MF) which I ordered a week or so ago, and, so far, it works really well, and makes my old grey mouse (trackball) and keyboard work like in the good old days.:)

The PS2 to USB splitter that I was asking about, never really got to work in the sense that it never got migrated, as reported on the Events tab under Properties for the device (USB composite device). The fact that it did not get migrated meant that the device never got to work with total stability, although it worked without a problem for long periods (whole days), provided I kept my Logitech M570 USB-receiver unplugged. However, when I least expected it, the device could stop working, and it would be necessary to unplug and replug it to make it function again.

Thank you very much for all the attention you have given my little problem, taeioum. Should you or anyone else have any questions related to this issue, please do not hesitate to ask, and I will share what little I might have to contribute.