[SOLVED] USB conenction to pc extremely sensitive

ThaSpoda

Reputable
Nov 2, 2019
(Repost from a very old unsolved post)

Hello, I have been having a problem regarding the sensitivity of a USB cord that I use to connect my 3 TB Seagate external drive to my laptop. The drive itself works great, but the cord is much too sensitive. The drive comes disconnected from my computer even if the cord is touched in anyway, like if I accidentally touch the cord while I'm inserting or removing another USB cord from the other port right next to it. Seriously, even moving the USB connector for the drive a millimeter will cause it to disconnect from the laptop, even though the cord is still physically inside the port. I don't think most people run into this problem, because they are probably using a desktop where you don't need to interact with the cords that often since they are in the back. However, like I said, I use a laptop, with the drive plugged into one of the two USB 3.0 ports on the left side, requiring me to come very close to the drive's cord when trying to use the other port.

I have already replaced the cord that came with the drive for a better one from Fry's that uses a gold plated tip, which has significantly reduced the sensitivity of the cord, and I have also tried the other USB port. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to use electrical tape to keep the cord in a secure connection with the laptop, or if there is some kind of other apparatus that can clamp the cord to the laptop, or something that just improves the connection. It's not that the sensitivity is an inconvenience, but I'm worried that the drive could malfunction if I accidentally remove it from the computer too much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Solution

Hello, I have been having a problem regarding the sensitivity of a USB cord that I use to connect my 3 TB Seagate external drive to my laptop. The drive itself works great, but the cord is much too sensitive. The drive comes disconnected from my computer even if the cord is touched in anyway, like if I accidentally touch the cord while I'm inserting or removing another USB cord from the other port right next to it. Seriously, even moving the USB connector for the drive a millimeter will cause it to disconnect from the laptop, even though the cord is still physically inside the port. I don't think most people run into this problem, because they are probably using a desktop where you don't need...

Hello, I have been having a problem regarding the sensitivity of a USB cord that I use to connect my 3 TB Seagate external drive to my laptop. The drive itself works great, but the cord is much too sensitive. The drive comes disconnected from my computer even if the cord is touched in anyway, like if I accidentally touch the cord while I'm inserting or removing another USB cord from the other port right next to it. Seriously, even moving the USB connector for the drive a millimeter will cause it to disconnect from the laptop, even though the cord is still physically inside the port. I don't think most people run into this problem, because they are probably using a desktop where you don't need to interact with the cords that often since they are in the back. However, like I said, I use a laptop, with the drive plugged into one of the two USB 3.0 ports on the left side, requiring me to come very close to the drive's cord when trying to use the other port.

I have already replaced the cord that came with the drive for a better one from Fry's that uses a gold plated tip, which has significantly reduced the sensitivity of the cord, and I have also tried the other USB port. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to use electrical tape to keep the cord in a secure connection with the laptop, or if there is some kind of other apparatus that can clamp the cord to the laptop, or something that just improves the connection. It's not that the sensitivity is an inconvenience, but I'm worried that the drive could malfunction if I accidentally remove it from the computer too much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
The problem doesn't come from the cord. It is come from the loose USB port, or the bad connection with motherboard Laptop. If your USB Port is still good, doesn't feel any loose, then it comes from the connection of USB port and the motherboard.

Most laptop USB ports have problems when they reach a reasonable lifetime.

Solution