USB Decoded: All the Specs and Version Numbers

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Kiddos or adding which versions are supported by which connector type. A lot of people get confused when you tell them USB 4 features and speeds don't work for USB-A

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
I'd like USB-C if it was actually a Universal cable and more reliable. There's too many variants, with some ports and cables supporting one standard, then other ports and cables supporting another standard... On top of this, sometimes you have to flip the USB-C cable to get it to work. Then we have the potential different wattage capacities of each cable.

I hope this will eventually get smoothed out.

USB-A is old, but it's been fairly reliable. Hopefully it'll be like the early days of USB where we still had serial and parallel ports, and for a while, USB devices were more expensive than the serial variety by a good margin. Eventually USB settled and everything ended up better.

The speed and wattage designation is a good step forward. They should make a standard cable that can handle all of the cases and make that the standard. VESA-Certified DisplayPort 1.4 has been pretty good, even though I had to replace DisplayPort cables fairly often.

USB-C does not feel universal

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
I'd like USB-C if it was actually a Universal cable and more reliable. There's too many variants, with some ports and cables supporting one standard, then other ports and cables supporting another standard... On top of this, sometimes you have to flip the USB-C cable to get it to work. Then we have the potential different wattage capacities of each cable.

I hope this will eventually get smoothed out.

USB-A is old, but it's been fairly reliable. Hopefully it'll be like the early days of USB where we still had serial and parallel ports, and for a while, USB devices were more expensive than the serial variety by a good margin. Eventually USB settled and everything ended up better.

The speed and wattage designation is a good step forward. They should make a standard cable that can handle all of the cases and make that the standard. VESA-Certified DisplayPort 1.4 has been pretty good, even though I had to replace DisplayPort cables fairly often.

USB-C does not feel universal

How was it any different than USB-A? USB-A had 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.2. There wasn't a cable issue with 1.1 or 2.0, but 3 and 3.2 it started to matter.

TRENDING THREADS