[SOLVED] USB Device Not Recognised - Surface Pro 4

Watrevir

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2013
My second hand Surface Pro 4 refuses to take any external USB peripheral (apart from the type cover), always coming up with the message: "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it". It will recognise USB flash/ disk drives fine. All the peripherals work fine on my main PC.

I've tried seemingly everything out there - reinstalling any of the USB controllers in Device Manager does nothing, there is no Hardware Troubleshooter, advanced power options on the SP4 are limited, I've done a full reset/ Windows clean reinstall - all with no result. There is only one USB 3.0 port so I can't try any others.

This does seem to be an issue others have had with the SP4, but there doesn't seem to be a solution anywhere and I really can't see a way to get this working. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 20H2, Build 19042.746.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
What kind of devices are you trying to connect directly to the Surface? The issue, most likely, is a power issue. The USB port on the surface can't provide sufficient power to some devices.

There is a USB port on the Surface power supply that can help with such issues. Have you tried using it?

For example:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What kind of devices are you trying to connect directly to the Surface? The issue, most likely, is a power issue. The USB port on the surface can't provide sufficient power to some devices.

There is a USB port on the Surface power supply that can help with such issues. Have you tried using it?

For example:

Solution