USB device not recognised

Jord119

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
I have a load of school work on my USB but whenever I plug it into a computer it says
"USB Device Not Rwcognised
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognise it." I've downloaded some software which should be able to recover my data but it doesn't recognise my USB. How could I fix my USB without losing the data that's on there or at least access the data to save elsewhere?

supasieu

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
What Windows are you running? Is your OS up-to-date? Check with computer motherboard Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller driver. Try different USB port on your desktop? Is there another desktop/laptop that you can try to plug in the USB drive?

Jord119

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
For my home computer, Windows 7 Home Premium but at school I don't know. At a guess I'd say Windows 7 but which version I don't know. My computer's up to date but again I'm unsure with the school computers. I've tried it on 3 computers in school as well as a Mac and my home computer. I don't know if it helps but I think it broke whilst I was handing in my BTEC ICT work.

supasieu

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014

When you tried it on the three computer/Mac in school, does it work? When user remove the USB while its being written to, the data could be corrupt. Then you will need third party software to recover the data from the USB stick.
Try run these MS Fixit
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/tips-for-solving-problems-with-usb-devices

Hope it helps,

Jord119

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
My computer can't connect to the internet at the moment so I'll have to try this out tomorrow but thanks for the help anyway. Also it's a bit off topic but do you know any ways I could improve my computer's internet connection?

Jord119

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
The fix it link you have me was for an outdated version which will not even install to my computer. I'm trying the 'diagnose and fix Windows USB problems automatically' fix it tool but I keep getting an error with that (800B0100, if you're interested). Is there any alternative ways I could sort this? My deadline's tomorrow afternoon and I'm going to struggle to remake just a few bits of work, let alone finish it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.