Question USB devices causing my PC to lag/stutter, any ideas?

Oct 10, 2023
Specs:
MOBO - Asus tuf z790 plus wifi DDR5
RAM - 64GB Gskill dr5-6000
GPU - Asus Tuf 4080
CPU - i9-13900K
PSU - Maingear 1200W
OS - Windows 11 23H2 (Build 22631.2792)

The problem:
Anytime I plug in a USB device, specifically a flash drive (usb3 samsung, usb3 pny, any flash drive new or used) my mouse and any window Im dragging stutters and freezes up. I'm not 100% sure if my system is freezing or its the mouse jittering. This problem is isolated to windows only. When I boot into Ubuntu, the problem is not present.

What I've attempted already:
So I thought I might have a faulty windows install so I did a fresh install. Still having the problem.. I've already attempted all of the cookie cutter dism and sfc stuff. I've set all USB devices to high performance in power plan. In device manager, I've changed all USB devices to not allow to turn off to save power. Running high performance power plan in control panel. Temps are totally within normal range in all hardware. I'm guessing this is just one of those things that dont have a fix.

Is there anyway possible to try to diagnose this problem? Anyway to trace performance issues with software? Thanks guys

Ralston18

Titan
What specific USB devices? How many USB devices?

Are all of the devices fully dependent on the host system for power via USB ports?

Are any of the devices being powered via an independently powered USB hub?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system behavior changes when any given USB device is plugged in.

Use both tools but only one tool at a time.

Leave the tool window open for a few minutes to let the host system stabilize. Plug in the USB device and watch for what changes when the lag/stutter etc. occurs.

May take a bit of trial and error to work out the testing process/method and otherwise narrow things down.

Be methodical and consistent.