USB devices keep disconnecting and reconnecting

yomamaisonfier

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2013
So it seems that I have run into a problem (of course) with my new build (just got a new Motherboard and CPU, which I got a few weeks ago). Randomly, starting today, without warning, my usb devices all shut off. Mouse, Keyboard, even my headphones, all disconnect, and my audio switches to my monitor, since it switches the default audio device, which can really suck in uh... bad moments..... After a few moments, it all switches back on. Sometimes it happens every few minutes, sometimes it happens after a few hours. No idea what it is. I've looked it up and people seem to keep suggesting one of two things;
1. Turn off USB Selective Suspend setting in Power Options
2. Turn off USB 3.0 in the bios

Now, I've gone and done the first one, no clue yet if it'll do anything, but it seems most peoples' results are not working, so I have my doubts. No clue what I even turned off.

People have seemed to have more luck with the turning off USB 3.0, but here's my problem with that; I have 2 USB 2.0 slots on the back of my computer. The rest are all 3.0, and two 3.1. I'd rather not restrict myself to only 2 USB slots (4 if you count the front USBs, but I don't want to plug crap in there unless it's a Flash drive or something). So I guess I'm at an impasse here. Any suggestions?

it may be a bad windows update or you installed a program or hardware and it over writen the intel or amd chipset drivers. I would download the intel chipset drivers (version 10) and the newest mei drivers from intel and reinstall them.
then if your mb is using 3 party usb ports reinstall the newest drivers for them see if the error stops. also make sure your not plugging a lot of devices in at once. the mb usb ports have a limit to the power they can output and powering a keyboard and hard drive may be to much. you may need to use a powered usb hub for hard drives and or printers.

yomamaisonfier

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2013
I just got the CPU and Motherboard, and updated all the drivers and whatnot not too long afterwards. Haven't installed anything since then. Also, all I have plugged in to my USBs are my mouse keyboard and headphones, and I've had no problems with the same exact equipment with my old mobo and when I first got this one.

yomamaisonfier

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2013
Seems as though I found the issue. I sat and thought about what I may have changed last night. Haven't downloaded anything, installed anything, changed any settings, nothing. Nothing big, nothing I could connect even remotely. I had barely even been on my computer for the last week. Then I remembered. I had gone into sound settings, and changed the Default format for my headphones. It made absolutely no sense, but it was the only thing I changed at all. So, I changed it back, and whabam. It's all good now. I have no idea what the heck that has to do with my USB settings, but it helped. What a ridiculous fiasco.