USB Devices Randomly Shutting Off, Computer Randomly Restarts

Sep 23, 2018
I have been having a problem with my custom build where at least once a day all of my usb devices will disconnect, and then reconnect 10-20 seconds later. I turned off the automatic disconnect setting in windows and it still had no effect.
Also, my computer will occasionally just shut down and restart out of nowhere,l. I also changed the automatic restart function but that also seemed to have no effect. Any help is appreciated!

cpu: amd ryzen 7 1800x
motherboard: asus rog strix b350-f
graphics card: msi gaming geforce gtx 1070 armor 8gb
ram: corsair vengeance rgb pro 16gb

Solution
If the other possibilities have been eliminated then the motherboard would be the source.

I am still not sure about that error message.

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/debug/system-error-codes--0-499-

Did some research and found a number of those "we fix any error" type websites that appear no matter what the problem is.

Most want you to download something. Not recommended.

The following link was interesting:

https://www.coopoint.com/library/error-code/error-code-144

Not directly helpful but does suggest USB driver related problems. Since you have already tried new driver then the problem may well be in the USB hardware components.

Before swapping motherboards, etc., I would try reinstalling the...

Ralston18

Titan
Are there a lot of those errors?

Found this:

"ERROR_DIR_NOT_ROOT
144 (0x90)
The directory is not a subdirectory of the root directory."

Does not make sense per se but may or may not be relevant.

Power off, unplug, and open the case. Check all cables and connections to ensure all are fully and firmly in place.

Likewise, check all memory modules, chips, cards, jumpers, etc. to ensure none are loose.

Pay extra attention to the new PSU connections. They can be stiff and feel or appear connected. Verify.

Ralston18

Titan
Going back to your OP and the loss of USB devices it could then be a 5V power problem within the PSU.

Cannot explain the 144 error code per se unless there is some USB storage device involved and some power loss to it leads to the 144 error. Getting a bit too convoluted but power losses can and do cause all sorts of strange end results.....

Including random restarts.

Even though the PSU is new that does not mean that it is not defective or failing early in some manner.

Look for more error codes or some patterns. Especially any that track to just before or at the time of the USB disconnects. Be conscious of what else is running in the background when the disconnects occur. Could be some resource conflict.

Try reinstalling the USB drivers.

If that does not resolve the problems then the next step is to test the PSU voltages.

Ralston18

Titan
If the other possibilities have been eliminated then the motherboard would be the source.

I am still not sure about that error message.

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/debug/system-error-codes--0-499-

Did some research and found a number of those "we fix any error" type websites that appear no matter what the problem is.

Most want you to download something. Not recommended.

The following link was interesting:

https://www.coopoint.com/library/error-code/error-code-144

Not directly helpful but does suggest USB driver related problems. Since you have already tried new driver then the problem may well be in the USB hardware components.

Before swapping motherboards, etc., I would try reinstalling the USB drivers, maybe an earlier version. Current drivers may be looking in a subdirectory that is misplaced or whose path is incorrectly coded.

Do leave the registry alone for now. Some definitive edit to fix the problem needs to be found if there is such a solution. And then you must ensure that all important data is backed up verified plus you are ready to fully reinstall the OS.

Registry tweaks can make the OS inoperable.

Solution