[SOLVED] USB devices randomly stop working (but there is no disconnect sound) ?

Dec 10, 2020
Hi all,

A couple of years ago I assembled a PC and overall it has been great. However, ever since I assembled this PC I've had an issue with the USB ports. Basically what happens is this:

Devices connected via USB will randomly stop working. This happens every few hours and completely at random (as far as I can tell). There doesn't seem to be anything that triggers this issue (i.e. starting or using specific software). Also there doesn't seem to be a fixed interval between events. Let me give you an example.

My keyboard and mouse are connected via bluetooth to a USB dongle. Every few hours the keyboard and mouse will just stop working. The Windows 'USB disconnect' sound does NOT play. When I remove the dongle, the sound still does not play. When I insert it into a different USB port however, the 'USB disconnect' sound will play (not the 'USB connect' sound), and the keyboard and mouse will work again. This only works if I plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port. If I plug it back into the same USB straight away, no sound plays and the keyboard and mouse will still not work. However, that 'defective' port WILL work again after switching ports.

This issue does not seem to be related to any specific USB port. Any USB port might (temporarily) not work anymore at any given time. This issue also happens with other devices (for example, my printer or USB sticks).

Other than this, the PC works fine. No blue screens or other issues.

I'm not exactly an expert on this... Where do I start?

Solution
In device manager, opent he properties for the various USB's and disable power management "allow windows to turn this device off' is what I think is says. (I'm not at a windows pc to check)