USB Drive Having Issues - Not Recognized

AriaBella

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
I have a pretty standard SanDisk 32 GB flash drive, it's worked well for years.Recently I got a new laptop for school. Just a cheap HP that I'm going to use for note taking in class and computing on the go. After messing with it a bit, I decided I wanted to install a Linux distro since I wasn't going to use it for gaming (I have a desktop for that) and I had experience running Kubuntu and Mint on a couple older laptops.

I decided to try KDE Neon, and downloaded Rosa Image Writer, which was recommended on the distro website. I assumed my flash drive was formatted (it wasn't), the program tried to format, and it failed.

Now the drive is not showing up in My Computer. It appears in device management and disk management, but I get various errors when I try to do anything. I managed to delete the current and make a new partition on the drive, but I still had issues. Trying to format it resulted in an error saying it was offline. Using diskpart to turn it online told me that it already was online. "Change drive letter and paths" results in "system cannot find the file specified."

Some googling resulted in people saying this is normally a result of using a drive on linux the windows, and fixing the drive on linux should work. But as you can tell, I do not currently have a linux PC.

Update: Issue has been resolved

Can I fix this on windows?

Solution
When a pen drive starts giving you grief you just replace it mate - - - life's too short to spend it trying to fix relatively cheap stuff - - especially when it's a few years old anyway.