[SOLVED] USB Drive is not accessible - Access is denied

Jan 1, 2021
Lately I am unable to read external HDDs on USB of my Windows 10 PC. Sometimes I can connect and start using the drives, but most times I get a message: "F:\ is not accessible... Access is denied". Sometimes I can get access to the drive and use but eventually it will cut-off with the "Access is denied" message. These HDD's behave normally on another PC and this PC will read USB flashdrives OK.

When the drives are working OK, I can check Properties \ Security \ Permissions and I see that everyone has control. When they are not working, I am unable to change the permissions - It just says "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings" (I am Admin). In Device Manager, I can see the drive there and no problems are flagged. I have tried uninstalling the device (drive) and restarting Windows but it makes no difference. All of this makes me think this is a driver, rather than permissions issue. Any suggestions.

Solution
Drivers don't know what file system permissions are, they just provide an interface for the OS to move storage blocks through. If you are having random permission issues only on one PC, it is more likely a piece of software that taps the storage system (ex.: anti-virus) is interfering with the external HDDs when using them on that computer and randomly screwing up permissions.

Another possibility would be data getting corrupted somewhere along the way when the PC is reading your external HDDs, though the likelihood of that only resulting in fudged up permissions would be quite low.

InvalidError

Titan
Drivers don't know what file system permissions are, they just provide an interface for the OS to move storage blocks through. If you are having random permission issues only on one PC, it is more likely a piece of software that taps the storage system (ex.: anti-virus) is interfering with the external HDDs when using them on that computer and randomly screwing up permissions.

Another possibility would be data getting corrupted somewhere along the way when the PC is reading your external HDDs, though the likelihood of that only resulting in fudged up permissions would be quite low.

Solution
Jan 1, 2021
I can read the drives in Safe Mode. So would appear to be a SW conflict of some sort. I have tried disabling startup apps but no luck so far. Deactivated Panda AV but no change. I have used Panda for a while and never had an issue but will try uninstalling it completely

Jan 1, 2021
I can read the drives in Safe Mode. So would appear to be a SW conflict of some sort. I have tried disabling startup apps but no luck so far. Deactivated Panda AV but no change. I have used Panda for a while and never had an issue but will try uninstalling it completely
Well: uninstalling Panda did the trick. I've been using it for years, on various computers but never came across this problem before.