Usb Drive not showing in "My Computer" Windows 10

Cristofage

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016
I have an usb drive that doesn't show up in "my computer", the first time i plugged it in it worked, i stopped using it for a while and started working, but as soon as i plugged it out and in again it stopped showing up. When i plug or unplug it it makes the sound, it showes up in "printers and devices", when i click on "browse files" it shows the letter of the disk which i can't click.

Solution
Hey there, Cristofage.

Please remember to unplug the drive after you've safely removed it by clicking on the small icon near the clock and selecting "eject". I'd recommend that you open Disk Management (while the USB drive is connected), and make a screenshot of what you see there. Here's how to post a screenshot: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2176231/guide-posting-screenshot-forum.html and here's how to open it: How to access Disk Management in Windows.

What you could do besides that, is to give it a try with a different device/computer and see if it's properly recognized. You could also try reformatting it if you don't have any valuable data on it.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD
Hey there, Cristofage.

Please remember to unplug the drive after you've safely removed it by clicking on the small icon near the clock and selecting "eject". I'd recommend that you open Disk Management (while the USB drive is connected), and make a screenshot of what you see there. Here's how to post a screenshot: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2176231/guide-posting-screenshot-forum.html and here's how to open it: How to access Disk Management in Windows.

What you could do besides that, is to give it a try with a different device/computer and see if it's properly recognized. You could also try reformatting it if you don't have any valuable data on it.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

skinnypete

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
Go to your search menu and type disk manager, you should see 'Create and format hard drive partitions' show up, click it. Then find your USB stick, it may have no name, so check the size of the drive and find the one that is the same as your USB stick. Select it, and then look to the right at the rectangle. If it says 'unallocated' you need to right click, and choose allocate volume, and click through the menu. You can also format it from this tool. Good luck.