Question USB Ethernet keeps disconnecting

gafonator

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2016
Hello,

could you please advise me. I've this IdeaPad 5 15ALC05, ethernet is connected through a USB adapter. It keeps disconnecting and reconnecting every few seconds. Sometimes it lasts several minutes, sometimes not even a few seconds. We've troubleshooted this so far:

1. The cabling is long and has one junction that connects two 5-meter-long Ethernet cables. One is Cat 6, and the other one is Cat 5.
2. Cables are okay, and router is okay because we've tried the same path, same cabling in a different computer, and it's worked just fine.
3. The USB/Ethernet adapter has been tested in two other devices. With the same cabling, and somewhere on an entirely different network. It's worked fine.
4. Therefore, we think it must be the computer.
5. I've uninstalled USB drivers one by one and let Windows reinstall them anew. USB Hub drivers, too.
6. Windows logging says Error 131 Device Set-up Manager when the issue occurs.
7. We've tried disabling Avast for an hour to see if that doesn't cause it. ...nope :)

For some time after this, the connection held the longest time ever. Approx 10 minutes. I don't know if it was just luck or something's really changed a bit. After that the problems have started in the same fashion.

Probably something with the USB ports, then? Or Windows 11? I didn't find any older or newer USB drivers on the net so far. I am exhausted today. Any suggestions–other than changing the computer, please?

What brand of USB adapter is it. Look in the device manager and see if you can find the chipset.

What tends to be best is try to find a driver on the chipset vendors site. You can also try the USB device manufactures site but many times if you can get it the one on the chipset maker will be better.

Windows unfortunately will try to load generic drivers which many times work but are not optimal. They are really worst ones when it does it for video cards.

After you find the drivers from someone other than windows dig around the update settings screens and disable the ability of windows to update drivers and other things...especially the BIOS. Microsoft really needs to leave there hands off things but it seem the majority of users of windows are stupid so microsoft makes everyone take risks.

gafonator

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2016
What brand of USB adapter is it. Look in the device manager and see if you can find the chipset.

What tends to be best is try to find a driver on the chipset vendors site. You can also try the USB device manufactures site but many times if you can get it the one on the chipset maker will be better.

Windows unfortunately will try to load generic drivers which many times work but are not optimal. They are really worst ones when it does it for video cards.

After you find the drivers from someone other than windows dig around the update settings screens and disable the ability of windows to update drivers and other things...especially the BIOS. Microsoft really needs to leave there hands off things but it seem the majority of users of windows are stupid so microsoft makes everyone take risks.
Thanks for the reply.
Man, I don't think it registers as one. If I looked correctly, nothing new's appeared in the Device Manager when I connected it. Even when it worked. I am not at my friend's place now, I'll ask him in the meantime.