Question USB headers? and connectors? 5-pin? 9-pin and 10-pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocafella1978

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2015
hi all, just needed some clarification and guidance to understand the USB headers on the motherboards.
there are USB 2.0 slot/ expansion brackets, where one can find 1-4 USB 2.0 ports on them. but what i don't understand is, what is the right one?
there are variety being sold, with 4-pin, 5-pin, 9-pin and 10-pin connectors? how do i know which one is the right one?
( i understand the single wire and double wire, but what is the importance or what do i need to understand about the 4 to 10 pin connectors?)

StarTech.com 4 Port USB A Female Slot Plate Adapter - USB panel - 4 pin USB Type A (F) (USBPLATE4)
StarTech.com 2 Port USB A Female Slot Plate Adapter - USB panel - USB (F) to 5 pin in-line (F) - USBPLATE
50CM 2xUSB 2.0 A Female Panel Mount to 10 Pin Header Motherboard Cable Adapter
50cm Dual USB 2.0 Type A Female to Motherboard 9Pin Header Cable Adapter with Screw Panel

thank you all for your help!

Motherboards with connectors/ headers, all these have free headers on the motherboard for USB.
  • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 AORUS PRO
  • Asus PRIME Z270-P
  • Asus PRIME B250M-A
  • Asus TUF Z390M-PRO GAMING

hi, it doesnt matter which one u use, all of them should work
USB 2.0 has 9/10 pin header on mainboard, 10th pin is usualy not connected , 9th pin is for extra ground for high power delivery

4pins are on USB - A port

btw i would try to avoid your first picture as thats a really bad design where u got no idea which way to connect it

Reactions: mctrader07
Status
Not open for further replies.