Question USB Headset w/ built-in DAC vs 3.5mm Headset with USB converter

hughboi

Commendable
Mar 26, 2020
Hello,

I recently purchased a new headset (Corsair HS60) that has been giving me problems with audio playing through the microphone (otherwise quite a fantastic headset). The headset came with a USB 7.1 virtual surround sound converter (I assume this is the DAC? correct me if I am wrong). I am using this converter as it allows you to take advantage of the corsair software (which includes the virtual surround sound, and other headset specific sound settings).

I previously had the Logitech G35's which I believe had the DAC built right into the headset and only had a USB directly coming out of them. I had no problems with these headphones playing audio through my microphone.

I've done a bunch of searching online (some of which on tom's hardware forums) and gone through the common causes and tried the following recommended solutions:
  • Disable stereo mix through settings
  • I've disabled all other recording and playback devices in the sound control panel
  • Ensured "Listen to this device" is off in microphone properties
  • Played around with noise cancellation, and echo cancellation
I've also tested the headset by plugging the 3.5mm jack into my mobile phone and running the same voice test on the Discord app with spotify music playing in the background and no issues there (so I don't think it's a bad headset). Also, I've purchased a y-splitter to see if I would have any differences going through Realtek HD Audio using motherboard's on-board sound, and I have the exact same issue there.

Kind of running out of ideas on what to do, and was wondering if anyone has some tips. I really want to have a headset that can work with a 3.5mm and USB converter since I play Xbox, and PC games and want to use this with both (3.5mm plugged into xbox controller, and USB for PC), so I'd rather not have to buy a similar headset as before that was USB connection only and DAC built into the headphones.

Let me know if you got any other questions about my setup (specs, drivers, etc.).

Thanks,
Hughboi

hughboi

Commendable
Mar 26, 2020
Did you check with Corsair support to see if there is some issue with the USB dongle?

If you want to try another set and return this one, the Cooler Master CM752 has the USB virtual surround dongle included and is great for the price.

I have a ticket open with them, and I could check that with them. They suggested trying the y-splitter and I let them know yesterday that didn't work either. The fact that there's similar issues with the USB dongle, and y-splitter w/ Realtek on-board audio makes me wonder if it's something else. However I almost exclusively like using USB connection headsets instead of using 3.5mm with on-board audio, so that issue could have been pre-existing with on-board realtek audio.

I will probably just return this headset. And give another one a try. That CM752 looks pretty nice, a little bit more expensive, but I may consider the investment.

Thanks,
Hugh.

hughboi

Commendable
Mar 26, 2020
Ahhhh, never mind, it's a headset issue! I redid my phone test with microphone off, and downloaded a better audio recording application. The audio bled through into the recording. I will be returning these :)

I have a ticket open with them, and I could check that with them. They suggested trying the y-splitter and I let them know yesterday that didn't work either. The fact that there's similar issues with the USB dongle, and y-splitter w/ Realtek on-board audio makes me wonder if it's something else. However I almost exclusively like using USB connection headsets instead of using 3.5mm with on-board audio, so that issue could have been pre-existing with on-board realtek audio.

I will probably just return this headset. And give another one a try. That CM752 looks pretty nice, a little bit more expensive, but I may consider the investment.

Thanks,
Hugh.

Considering how much you will be using them, the cost difference is really nothing. It's like paying $10 for an OK cheeseburger and $12 for a good one. Even a $200 headphone that will last 10 years that you really like is costing you 20 a year, vs a $50 one you may use for a few months then want to replace because you don't like it. The headphones my father bought in the late 80s he is still using now, don't remember what they cost but I think they sure got a good value from them, even if they cost a 1,000 LOL (and they were under a 100 I think). Buying things based only on budget often ends up costing you more money and for certain time.

hughboi

Commendable
Mar 26, 2020
Considering how much you will be using them, the cost difference is really nothing. It's like paying $10 for an OK cheeseburger and $12 for a good one. Even a $200 headphone that will last 10 years that you really like is costing you 20 a year, vs a $50 one you may use for a few months then want to replace because you don't like it. The headphones my father bought in the late 80s he is still using now, don't remember what they cost but I think they sure got a good value from them, even if they cost a 1,000 LOL (and they were under a 100 I think). Buying things based only on budget often ends up costing you more money and for certain time.

Yeah that's a fair point. I actually ended up buying the CM MH752's on amazon and got next day delivery. Set them up just now, and plugged in the USB 7.1 virtual sound connector with the headset, and alas, same FREAKING problem. This time though it's different: if the microphone is muted, the audio doesn't bleed into the recording (so better). This microphone just seems to be picking up the audio coming out of actual headphones, sonot a headset malfunction per say, but I'm still pretty unimpressed. Heck, my budget crap USB Logitech G headset doesn't have these issues. I don't feel like I'm listening to things that loud, and don't think that should really be an issue with a good pair of headphones. I'll do some more playing around with settings, but at this point I think I'm just going to stick with USB only headsets that have no detachable microphones, as those seem to give me no issues. :mad:

hughboi

Commendable
Mar 26, 2020
Yeah that's a fair point. I actually ended up buying the CM MH752's on amazon and got next day delivery. Set them up just now, and plugged in the USB 7.1 virtual sound connector with the headset, and alas, same FREAKING problem. This time though it's different: if the microphone is muted, the audio doesn't bleed into the recording (so better). This microphone just seems to be picking up the audio coming out of actual headphones, sonot a headset malfunction per say, but I'm still pretty unimpressed. Heck, my budget crap USB Logitech G headset doesn't have these issues. I don't feel like I'm listening to things that loud, and don't think that should really be an issue with a good pair of headphones. I'll do some more playing around with settings, but at this point I think I'm just going to stick with USB only headsets that have no detachable microphones, as those seem to give me no issues. :mad:

Wait... nvm same issue I think. Unplugged the microphone out of the headset and still audio bleeding in somehow. If I activate the mute button on the attached control piece then this issue stops. I'm not sure if I'm insanely unlucky with getting defective sets, but jesus christ...

hughboi

Commendable
Mar 26, 2020
Seems it's your software setting mixer set to send system audio to the output.

Hmm, I have no idea at this point. I've checked all the common ones people with the same problems listed online. What software are you even thinking? The bleeding is quite faint I think and almost not noticeable when playing games with friends, but when I record I can faintly here it in the background, and they sometimes can here it as well if I have louder sounds come through on the audio output. I just don't know what to check at this point. I checked everything that I mentioned in my initial post for the Corsair's and still no fix.

hughboi

Commendable
Mar 26, 2020
I plugged the 3.5mm into my phone and ran the recording software again with spotify music on at low volume and same issue. I don't think it's software... a lot of these headphones are truly just crap I think. The sound quality on the MH752's is great, and they are so comfortable on my head, but I'm quite disappointed with this playback even if it's faint. I just don't get why my shitty old logitech headset literally I just plug-in and change nothing and it has literally no feedback. I can record with a video blasting audio and ZERO playback, not even faint. Do they even make direct USB headsets with DAC's in the headphones themself anymore. I look online and they all use these external converters with detachable 3.5mm jacks and microphones (and they all seem to have similar issues for so many people).

Last edited:
Hmm, I have no idea at this point. I've checked all the common ones people with the same problems listed online. What software are you even thinking? The bleeding is quite faint I think and almost not noticeable when playing games with friends, but when I record I can faintly here it in the background, and they sometimes can here it as well if I have louder sounds come through on the audio output. I just don't know what to check at this point. I checked everything that I mentioned in my initial post for the Corsair's and still no fix.

If it's only a little bit that comes through then it would not be from the mixer settings in software. I never record from the system, and the MH751/2 models don't have a lot of noise bleed at all, so unless you have them up very loud it should not pick up anything from the earcups.

Did you try using an external mic not the one on headset?

hughboi

Commendable
Mar 26, 2020
If it's only a little bit that comes through then it would not be from the mixer settings in software. I never record from the system, and the MH751/2 models don't have a lot of noise bleed at all, so unless you have them up very loud it should not pick up anything from the earcups.

Did you try using an external mic not the one on headset?

No I could do that , but I'd rather have it all in a headset. To be honest my friends don't notice it at all, unless a video is blasting so I think I'll just keep these since the sound is superb and the comfort level is 11/10 (thanks for the suggestion). In a perfect world it would have zero like my other one, but I think it must be something to do with built in microphones vs. detachable ones. That would really be the one main difference between my Logitech ones and these other common gaming ones.