[SOLVED] USB Hub 3.0 question

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
Hello
So I have a USB hub with 4 ports plugged to one of my desktop USB 3.1, unfortunetely the promised 3.0 speed worked only for a week, now it's working at 2. 0 and not all devices can work like my XQD reader.
I tried to install a generic USB hub 3.0 driver , it will work for 5 minutes then revert back to 2.0.
It's a brand-less hub and it has a DC power option that I tried but nothing changed

Do all USB hubs for 3.0/3.1 speed need an extra power to work at full speed, or my model is a cheap bad unit?
Meaning is there USB hub models for 3 or 4 USB 3.0 that don't need DC extra power?

Solution
DC power is only required for power/charging, in most cases. However, depending on the power requirements of a device, a USB port alone may not suffice. Consider things like external 3.5" drive enclosures - those require DC power, as a USB port alone is not always sufficient to adequately power a drive.

In terms of speed, connected to a single USB port, consider it more like an 'extension'. Not all devices will be able to achieve USB3 speeds simultaneously.

What 4 devices are you connecting to the hub? Do things like your XQD reader work as the only device connected to the hub?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
DC power is only required for power/charging, in most cases. However, depending on the power requirements of a device, a USB port alone may not suffice. Consider things like external 3.5" drive enclosures - those require DC power, as a USB port alone is not always sufficient to adequately power a drive.

In terms of speed, connected to a single USB port, consider it more like an 'extension'. Not all devices will be able to achieve USB3 speeds simultaneously.

What 4 devices are you connecting to the hub? Do things like your XQD reader work as the only device connected to the hub?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS