[SOLVED] Usb hub. Powered vs non.

I am in need of a usb hub. I am just curious if a powered hub is needed vs a non powered hub.

The hub will be for my flight sim setup. Possibly xbox controller and headset as well. My keyboard will still be hooked directly to the pc, and mouse to keyboard.

Would you recommend powered? What about using a hub built into a monitor? The monitor I'm currently considering has 4 usb ports, but I'm unsure if they are powered or not.

One last question, usb extension cables. My headset cord is kind of short. While it works with my current desk setup, when I finally setup the new desk, the PC will be further away. Possibly making an extension necessary. Unless I can use a monitor port. So usb extension cord ok to use? No loss of data transfer?

I would get a powered hub especially since you are charging a controller off it.

Yes, the monitor's USB are powered.
Thanks! The controller is wired, not charging, would just be the data transfer. Since the monitor is powered, I may not need a hub. Have to wait till the monitor gets here. And see the best way to tackle cable management. Hub is probably still the best way.

I'll grab an extension with no worry then. Thanks again.

Reactions: Zizo007