USB Hub powers other USB ports on the laptop after shut down

KTlin

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
Hi folks

I experience a strange behavior with my new 7-ports powered USB Hub (Spacer SPH-208) I just bought. On my laptop (ASUS K55VD with Win 7 64bit) I have 3 USB ports (2 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0). On one of the USB 3.0 I have an external HDD (WD My Passport Ultra), on the other one I have the USB Hub and on the USB 2.0 port I have an audio interface. Untill I got this USB Hub, when I turned off the laptop (not sleep or hibernate) the external HDD and the audio interface were turning off as well. Now, with the new USB Hub connected to the other USB 3.0 port, when I shut down the laptop, the external HDD and the audio interface remain on (the LEDs are on on both, and the HDD is making a low noise). If I disconnect the USB Hub from the laptop (or, if I unplug its power supply), the external HDD and the audio interface (which are connected to different USB ports on the laptop!!!) turn off.

Isn't it weird? It looks like the USB Hub, when connected to its power supply, sends power to the other two USB ports on the laptop.
And it's also annoying, because I don't want to have my external HDD and my audio interface turned on all the time, even when my laptop is turned off.

Cheers

KTlin

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

Thanks 1LiquidPC
I was hoping there's a way I could disable this thing in Windows.

Although I doubt the option is there being a notebook, there may be a setting in your BIOS/UEFI to disable USB when powered down. Modern motherboards in desktops have an option(ErP I believe it's called)in the UEFI that will disable just about everything when the system is powered down for energy savings, including the USB ports. For desktops at least, some power is being drawn even turned off, which can be reduced if the motherboard/PSU support this feature. However, I doubt there is an option in your BIOS, but you might want to have a look. Might be something in there.

KTlin

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
The good news is that, at least, it looks like I don't need to power the hub all the time. And when it is disconnected from its power adapter, I don't experience that problem (when I turn off the laptop, all the USB devices turn off as well).
The devices I have inserted in it probably don't consume too much power (wireless mouse, memory stick, printer, dongles, etc) that's why I can use the hub without being powered. I still have to plug its power adapter if I connect an external HDD to the hub, but I don't need to do that everyday. So, for most of the time I'll just keep the hub disconnected from its power adapter and all is fine.

Thanks again for all the help, 1LiquidPC!