USB is connected, but it's not showing up in "My Computer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joepb

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
my USB is connected but nothing is showing up,
I tried shutting off the computer waiting and then turning it back on and had no success.

I went into disk manager and the USB did not show up.

I really need to get the information off the drive, my whole semesters work is on it, and if I don't get the info I will fail so please help me out,

thanks Joe

Solution
Yes that is quite possible, if the USB is not getting detected by the OS. Either the USB is faulty, or you have to try hard to make it work. You can also try with a double headed USB cable. Put one end to PC and the other end to USB device, see what happens. Good luck.
Simply the OS is unable to read the PD. First make it read, by plugging it on different ports(front/back) USB2.0/3.0.

Try it on safe-mode.

Try it on another system, or another OS, see if it gets detected there.

Try mounting and unmounting numerous times but properly unmount it.

Try to uninstall the PD from Device Manager, then Scan for Hardware Changes under Action menu.

Joepb

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

I have tried it on multiple computers, and it's a USB 2.0 what do you mean when you say

"Try mounting and unmounting numerous times but properly unmount it."

Joepb

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

The problem is that it doesn't even show up that anything is plugged in so I am unable to eject it and connect it

Yes that is quite possible, if the USB is not getting detected by the OS. Either the USB is faulty, or you have to try hard to make it work. You can also try with a double headed USB cable. Put one end to PC and the other end to USB device, see what happens. Good luck.

Solution

Joepb

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

I have tried the double ended USB and it didn't work either, I feel like the USB is faulty and I am hit out of luck. But I will keep trying and thank you for your help.

newbe22222

Reputable
May 12, 2014

1 open device manager
2 expand disk drives
3 plug in usb
4 it should now be listed as usb
5 uninstall
6 restart pc
7 plug usb in & it should reinstall
it worked for me

Status