USB keyboard will not work before boot [solved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zackary Perham

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
I have a USB keyboard, it's not working before I boot on my system. I am aware that some BIOS disable USB connections to speed boot along and that the common way to fix this is to use a PS/2 keyboard.

However, I just drove 35 miles round trip to find a store which carried a USB->PS/2 keyboard adapter, and when it's plugged into the PS/2 keyboard port, it does not work at ALL, even after I boot. After Windows starts, the KB works fine if it's plugged into the USB.

A friend of mine suggested holding down the power button, saying that some will let out three short beeps and this will clear it and the USB will load before I boot. But, all this did was cycle the power on and off again.

I cannot get into BIOS to change the setting. Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The post is right above, the keyboard has to be plugged into the right USB port to get into the BIOS in some cases.

Once in the BIOS, you want to be looking for and option in there that says 'USB legacy devices', make sure it is enabled.

Save the settings in the BIOS, and exit.
After that, any USB port the key board is connected to should allow you to use the keys, to access the BIOS or Windows menus when booting if pressed.
The post is right above, the keyboard has to be plugged into the right USB port to get into the BIOS in some cases.

Once in the BIOS, you want to be looking for and option in there that says 'USB legacy devices', make sure it is enabled.

Save the settings in the BIOS, and exit.
After that, any USB port the key board is connected to should allow you to use the keys, to access the BIOS or Windows menus when booting if pressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

Landon Warner

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
If anyone else is having trouble if you have an MSI board download MSI's CLICK BIOS II and you can use the bios while windows is running. This is not the real solution. In CLICK BIOS II check in settings then Windows 8 configuration. Make sure that MSI fast boot is disabled. regular fast boot is fine as long as the USB Support is set to [Full Initial] and or the PS2 Devices Support is set to [Enabled] . I hope this helped!

plumber1

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015
Your keyboards probably are working, if you have the usb options enabled in your bios.
However, for some reason, the F2, and in fact all the F buttons, do not work during post. Most of you are pressing F2 when offered the choice of F2 or Del, and so assume your usb keyboard doesn't work in POST, and plug in your old ps2, to make your bios adjustments.
I know all of this because it happened to me.
There are two ways to 'fix' it:
Hit del instead of F2, or
You probably have a FN button on your KB. Press that at the same time as F2.

In both cases, the bios screen should now show.
I suspect some of the 'solved' comments are because they pressed 'del' that time without noticing.

Hope this helps

Reactions: rlee6000580

USAFRet

Titan

1. Wireless keyboards DO work in the BIOS. Mine does.
2. Why are you glomming on to an ancient thread?

MKUltra75

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016

Because I'm stuck in recovery and my only option, currently to a failed Ubuntu mount, is to "Press ESC to access the UEMI MENU TO RECOVER"... Etc
Wireless doesn't work where I'm at and my laptop keyboard hasn't worked (hence the wireless kb). Any ideas? PS/2??

Status
Not open for further replies.