[SOLVED] USB microphone not working properly on new build

eirikheggelund

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2013
Hi.

I recently built a computer and installed a fresh Windows 10. Booted, installed drivers and updates, and plugged in my microphone (Røde NT-USB) among other devices to see if everything was working as intended. The audio quality is blurry, noisy, washed - almost as if I am talking inside of a bucket. I have never had any issues with the microphone earlier. I did clean off dust with a damp cloth and let it dry before plugging it in, but surely the microphone wouldn't work AT ALL if moisture damage was the reason? Any idea where to go from here?

Thanks!

Solution
Okay, so... I fixed it by simply entering the 'Advanced' tab within the microphone's 'Properties', and switching the sample rate to one setting, and back again.
Check to see if there are any audio effects enabled and turn them off if any are on.

Also try using a powered USB hub or a different port. Sometimes the power available to a port is shared with the adjacent port.

Are you using the headphone pass-through built into the mic?

If that's the case and you have the mic set to play back over the speakers, you'd effectively have the mic mixing the speaker sound with the mic sound as well as the computer doing the same thing. This would give two separate copies of the mic sound mixed in with different latencies. It would be... unpleasant to listen to.

eirikheggelund

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2013

I have tested the microphone through 4 different USB ports to no avail. My headphones are connected to an amplifier which is connected to my computer's rear I/O by a phone connector.

Are all sounds muffled or just the mic? It could be an issue with the headphone amp.

Have you tested the mic on another computer yet?

Finally, when you cleaned it, did you take the protective screen off or otherwise attempt to clean the diaphragm of the mic (the shiny foil-like membrane)?

eirikheggelund

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2013

Only the microphone sounds are muffled. Headphone amplifier and microphone have their separate connections, so it couldn't be caused by an issue with the amplifier.

And no, I did not clean take off any protective screen. I only cleaned the outside of the microphone.

Is the issue present when you use the monitor jack built into the microphone?

- If it is not, then there is likely an issue with the driver settings, as this means the mic is operating correctly before sending the signal to the computer.
- If it is an issue in this configuration, there is an electrical issue with the mic that may be a result of inadequate or dirty power. A powered USB hub can fix this as they have an independent power circuit. It could also be a result of damaged circuitry. If water got inside the mic, the charge on the internal capacitors is often enough to cause this.

Also, what about when using it on another machine?
- If this works, it's not an internal issue, and means the issue can probably be fixed with relative ease.
- If this doesn't resolve the issue, it's likely a hardware-level problem that cannot be easily addressed without a soldering iron.

eirikheggelund

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2013

I will try using the microphone on another computer. It seems as the issue also exists when using the microphone on an old USB headset of mine. Do you think inadequate power could be the issue? I am using a brand new Z390 motherboard.

If the second mic has the same issue, it's very likely a settings issue in the audio device drivers. It could be a power issue, but that's almost always resolved by moving to a port that isn't sharing a power rail with a high-draw device. I.E. by moving it to the port adjacent to your keyboard.

Can you post screenshots of your driver settings for the mic? Please include each of the tabs.

eirikheggelund

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2013

I just tested the microphone on my laptop with no issues whatsoever. There are no drivers available for download for the microphone. But I suppose you are referring to whatever is installed automatically upon plugging in the device. Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers > RODE NT-USB > Properties > Driver?

eirikheggelund

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2013
I uninstalled and reinstalled Realtek HD Audio Manager without success. Hiccups like these might be usual with motherboards this new. It takes time to get a stable BIOS up-and-running without errors. I don't know.