USB "no media" "Please Insert disk into drive X:"

Siktec

Reputable
May 25, 2014
My USB will show up and work perfectly in my grandmas laptop, but on my desktop I'm getting the whole "No Media" "Please insert disk into drive X:"

Any ideas on what to do to fix this? I've already tried changing the drive letter, reformatted it on my grandmas laptop. Put a picture on it from my grandmas laptop to see if my desktop would then recognize it.. but nothing is working.

Solution
Sounds coincidental (the Ubuntu part). I suspect the male USB port on the drive is the problem and it isn't making good enough contact to work properly. The multiple tries is the give away. Just a guess though at this point.

Siktec

Reputable
May 25, 2014

I tried all of them.. and yes device manager recognizes it, but it is unable to format it or anything.. Since it says "no media" My computer works fine with my external hard drive.. and this USB drive works fine on my grandmas laptop as I said.. So I don't know what to do.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There are some USB drives that use special encryption so that they will only open on systems with special software installed. What make/model is the USB drive in question?

This is doubtful in this situation, but I am trying to explore all possibilities. Also, I assume you have admin rights on the system you are trying to access this drive on, is that correct?

Siktec

Reputable
May 25, 2014
It's a Lexar twist turn or something along those lines. Yes I do have administrator rights.

Something I might add.. this USB worked with my laptop and this desktop before I tried to turn it into a bootable USB. I just don't know why after formatting it and everything it won't work again. It only works on my grandma's laptop.

Siktec

Reputable
May 25, 2014
It's 4gb.. and thanks for the help man. I've looked far and wide and nothing seems to help. I've tried UFD Doctor or whatever it's called.. and I get an error with that.. and blahhhhh

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I suspect that the device is defective in some way. USB drives are notorious for failing, often in odd ways.

I am baffled how one, and seemingly only one, system can access the device. Short of it being encrypted with something like TrueCrypt or BitLocker, I am at a loss.

Siktec

Reputable
May 25, 2014
It's really weird.. I sometimes have to plug it in a few times for even the one laptop to recognize it as well.. So I don't know what's going on. It worked PERFECT before I tried putting Ubuntu on it.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sounds coincidental (the Ubuntu part). I suspect the male USB port on the drive is the problem and it isn't making good enough contact to work properly. The multiple tries is the give away. Just a guess though at this point.

Solution

Siktec

Reputable
May 25, 2014
Oh my lord.. I sat here for like 5 mins manually making my lexar have intercourse with the usb slot.. and it finally recognized it as "Lexar Usb Drive" and i can access it.. o_O