USB not recognized

WarSensation

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Hi,

I've just gotten a new USB 2.0 drive with 512GB of space, but wanted it in NTFS. So I tried to format it and couldn't. That lead me to googling all of these different errors one after another and suddenly I've reached a point where the USB became corrupted from all these reformats and repartitionings and whatnot. Now when I plug it in one of three free USB 2.0 slots the Windows makes the sound and acknowledges that a USB device is plugged in, but it does not recognize it. The USB is not visible in Disk Manager, and Windows Explorer, but is visible as a not recognized device in Device Manager and Devices and Printers. I've also tried it in Kali Linux, however it shows no trace of it whatsoever. Diskpart also shows no trace of it in Windows.

BIOS also doesn't show anything.

I've tried googling it, but nothing succeeded.

The fact that Windows does recognize it as a USB device leads me to believe there is no hardware damage, only software.

Jand42

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
Is the drive mbr or gpt partioned?
And has your system Bios or Uefi?
Try the boot menu at startup (f9, f12 or whatever): look if the usb drive is recognzed.
Before that set bios settings at legacy for mbr if Uefi.

I had something like this but my drive was internal:
recognized in disk manager but not in explorer.
The solution was to assign a disk letter ( in disk manager)

WarSensation

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

My system is BIOS and the boot menu does not recognize the USB. Assuming it is partitioned (which I believe it is) it is MBR. The main problem is that it does not show in the Disk manager which means I can't really do much.

WarSensation

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

I'm positive, tried different port versions.