USB not working for camera

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dsarchs

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I recently built a new system and everything had been working fine but recently it won't recognize my camera/usb when it's connected.

It had worked originally but now -- although it beeps when plugging/unpluggin the usb cable -- nothing shows up on the computer at all. My wife mentioned that she had canceled out of something once when she plugged it in and it wouldn't work after that, but I can't figure out what it was she would have canceled or how to reset it.

Any ideas?

System information:

Windows 7 pro
i5-2500k
HD 6950
1tb spinpoint f3
8gb 1333 ram

The camera is a cannon powershot sx-130 is, if that matters.

This is the same for every usb port on the computer. Other devices (ipod, for example) are able to use the same usb ports with no problems and the camera works just fine on other computers.

As a side issue, can you plug usb 2.0 devices into a 3.0 port?

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Now I feel stupid :/ I was not paying attention to which usb cord I was using for the camera. I was plugging the camera in using my wireless headset charging cord. Lucky that I did not blow some thing up!

I keep forgetting Occam's Razor :)

scruffeh

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
physoc - thank you. Mine has not been working for years. No more trundling along to the other pc and back with a USB stick.

Just to make it a bit easier. You can go to "services" directly by typing it into the start bar box and then find "WUDFSVC (Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework)" and then setting it to "automatic". I then had to manually click on the entry for my camera in device manager and update the drivers, it then popped up via autoplay.

Mine is an Canon Ixus 850IS.

24jj

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
This worked for my 30D with Win7 64b computer:
Change the setting in menu > the last icon > communication > change from PC to print/ptp and you will be able to communicate again with the camera.

jbartist

Reputable
Jun 9, 2014
I just looked up this question to find an answer - don't know if you ever figured it out, but my easy solution for myself was: Plug in the usb cord to the computer first. Next, plug the other end into the camera. NOW it recognizes the camera. :)

hotlunch

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
@dsarchs

Cannon Rebel, and Gopro Hero 3 +...worked before don't recognize now..plug in, here sound..no pop-up..Windows sucks. But unfortunately they have us by the short and curly's...Brought my computer in to a computer repair shop..After being told the problem was fixed, No dice..Bought Windows 8 ( very F*&*ing reluctantly) now works fine. I have been following this thread for awhile and I have tried everything posted..That's the thing about computer guys..They use Google to fix the problem just like us. Very hard to find someone who REALLY knows all the ins and outs of the software. Like I said, I bought Windows 8 and everything works fine now..Good luck...Probably not going to find your answer here

Canadian EHngel

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014

WallyB55

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016

--------------------------------------------------

CANON stopped supporting the REBEL-XT years ago. The old driver (the last they produced for the XT) will not work correctly but you can get it to work by uninstalling the driver from device manger and then reinstalling the driver. Then the window explorer file manager will pop up showing the device. (XT must be in "Print/PTP" mode).

After each drive reinstall when the computer is powered off and powered up again Windows will not communicate with the XT again so each time you have to uninstall the driver with the XT on and plugged in, then turn the XT when plugged in off and on again and Windows will see it, give a fresh driver install now seeing the XT again.

It is a real pain each time you power up your computer and want to use your CANON REBEL--XT to uninstall the driver and then reinstall the driver each time but it works.

TRENDING THREADS