Question USB over current detected but I can still use my PC?

Apr 26, 2019
So when it power up my computer it displays the usb over current message and says it will shut down in 15 seconds, the same happens if I power it up again after ..... BUT the third time I power on it just boots normally and works perfectly! Any possible fix so I don't have to boot my PC 3 times to use it 😂 I've had a look inside my PC and at the ports and all seems fine, drivers are also up to date

PC specs:
Motherboard - MSI tomahawk b350
CPU - ryzen 5 1600
Gpu - rx580
Ram - 16gb Trident z RGB
Drives - 1TB HDD, 240GB SSD and 320GB HDD

Ralston18

Titan
May be temperature related: something needs to warm up a bit before working as expected.

Some questions/suggestions:

What PSU is installed: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

How does that PSU wattage compare to the full system wattage being demanded of the PSU?

Does the problem "go away" or stop if you, for example, disconnect the HDD or otherwise reduce the power demands? Or use the mobo's integrated video (if available) versus the Rx580 - just for testing purposes.

How many USB devices are installed? Are they using mobo USB power or are those devices independently powered via their own power source or an independently powered USB hub?

Even though the drivers are up to date it may be worthwhile to reinstall - just to eliminate some buggy or corrupted installation.

Go beyond "look inside". Power off, unplug the PC and physically check that all cables, cards, jumpers, etc. are fully and firmly in place.

Reactions: Magnew98
Apr 26, 2019
Psu - Seasonic S12-II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Wired Power Supply (bought in 2017)

Haven't checked the PCs demand yet :O in work but will check that out and eliminate that possibility later

As for reducing power demand I've tried booting with no USBs plugged in (the front panel ones are independently powered by the psu(I think?) The rest are powered by the mobo)

My cpu has no integrated graphics, I don't think the HDDs are the issue as they've been there since it was built and this problem just kind of came out of nowhere haha just been making do for a while but it's getting annoying

Might try reinstalling drivers too, but by look inside I meant I had made sure everything was connected properly

Last edited:
Psu - Seasonic S12-II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Wired Power Supply (bought in 2017)
As for reducing power demand I've tried booting with no USBs plugged in (the front panel ones are independently powered by the psu(I think?) The rest are powered by the mobo)

You might also disconnect the front panel USB connector from the motherboard header(s).

If you're using a USB keyboard and mouse also move them to other ports (not front panel) or better yet use a PS/2 KB/mouse if you have one.

Lastly: if you have any internal devices (RGB, for instance) installed that connect to internal USB headers disconnect them too.

Apr 26, 2019
You might also disconnect the front panel USB connector from the motherboard header(s).

If you're using a USB keyboard and mouse also move them to other ports (not front panel) or better yet use a PS/2 KB/mouse if you have one.

Lastly: if you have any internal devices (RGB, for instance) installed that connect to internal USB headers disconnect them too.

My keyboard and mouse are connected to the mobo I/O at the back use the front panel for mic and Xbox controller

Have an RGB strip but there's but that's connected to a case button and from there I think an led control header?

So I could try disconnect the front header but then I'd be down 2 USB 3.0 ports that I use haha

So I could try disconnect the front header but then I'd be down 2 USB 3.0 ports that I use haha

Oh yeah...I get that. The idea is just troubleshooting...once you find where the problem is you can make a decision how to proceed.

Just try moving the keyboard/mouse to other rear panel ports. If you've another KB/mouse try them too, even if they're uncomfortable. Again the idea is to see if the problem goes away or changes, that's all.

Reactions: Magnew98