USB overcurrent error after 77% Win10- update

oswaldomendoza.it

Reputable
Jul 26, 2018
MSI Z270 SLI PLUS
Recently added RAM and a new SSD.
After installing Win10 and let automated Win10 updates run until 77% (inside Windows, downloading in the background, no “do not turn off” messages) I decided to call it a day and continue the next morning.
To my surprise, next morning, when I try to turn on the PC, it comes up with this “overcurrent USB device” message and shuts itself down.
Already disconnected the only USB device: mouse. Cleared CMOS, checked overall for bent pins or the USB ports (although dont really know how to do that internally).
My board is not inside a case. It s just a board on top of a wooden table.
How can it be that last night it worked without a problem and next day it doesn t want to turn on?

Solution
well....if it's got this "deck" it may not be meant to be disassembled further. not sure.

....but regardless....if you have all the USB plugs disconnected at the MB (as much as you can) and you are still getting an over current error I would suspect the MB because the MB is monitoring this USB current and if nothing is hooked up the current should be damn well near zero and if it's not reading that then there's a problem.

oswaldomendoza.it

Reputable
Jul 26, 2018

This MSI board has some sort of a deck in the back USB connectors (which covers audio jacks also) which prevents me from seeing further inside the connections from the USB to the mobo.

I wouldnt want to inspect it myself.

any other solutions?

well....if it's got this "deck" it may not be meant to be disassembled further. not sure.

....but regardless....if you have all the USB plugs disconnected at the MB (as much as you can) and you are still getting an over current error I would suspect the MB because the MB is monitoring this USB current and if nothing is hooked up the current should be damn well near zero and if it's not reading that then there's a problem.

Solution
Another possibility I can think of would be some sort of conductive debris in the one of the USB jacks on the MB...but I don't think this likely.

....and if there was a short in the cables that go to the USB jacks on the case.....this would cause it.....which is why I suggested disconnecting everything.