Question USB overcurrent with only CPU + fan connected

Oct 22, 2023
Building a brand new PC, and every time I turn it on I get the warning of "USB overcurrent, the system will shut down in 15 seconds". I keep getting this issue even when testing the board outside of the case on a wooden bench with only RAM and the CPU + fan connected to it. I also ran the same setup with the PSU from my old PC, same issue exists. Is there anything else to do besides doing an RMA/exchange on the motherboard?

I've also changed the power cables from the ones that came with the new PSU to the ones on my old PC, blew compressed air into all of the board connectors, and I don't see any signs of damage on the board itself. Really not sure what the issue is here, but it has to be the board itself, right?

Hardware:
Motherboard - MSI PRO B650-P WiFi
CPU - Ryzen 7 7800X3D
CPU cooler - Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GT

PSU tested from old build: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3

EDIT: Incorrectly wrote the CPU as a Ryzen 9, based on typo on the Amazon order page. CPU box clearly says Ryzen 7 7800X3D.

Edit 2: I exchanged the motherboard for a new one, everything works 100% now! The original oneust have had a manufacturing defect causing a short.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU?

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. Since you swapped parts from an older build, we'll se a before and after specs to make semblance of the issue.

every time I turn it on I get the warning of "USB overcurrent, the system will shut down in 15 seconds".
I keep getting this issue even when testing the board outside of the case on a wooden bench with only RAM and the CPU + fan connected to it.
it has to be the board itself, right?
Any USB devices connected?
USB mouse?​
USB keyboard?​
USB flash drive?​
USB front panel connector from PC case?​

Disconnect all USB devices until you find the faulty one.

Oct 22, 2023
Any USB devices connected?
USB mouse?USB keyboard?USB flash drive?USB front panel connector from PC case?
Disconnect all USB devices until you find the faulty one.
There are no USB devices connected, just the PSU, motherboard, RAM, CPU + cooler, and the monitor, which is also from a previous build. No case front panel connected, I'm turning it on by shorting the two power pins.

Oct 22, 2023
I exchanged the motherboard for a new one, everything works 100% now! The original oneust have had a manufacturing defect causing a short.

Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU?

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. Since you swapped parts from an older build, we'll se a before and after specs to make semblance of the issue.
What a ridiculous requirement. Why would it matter what GPU, SSD, etc I plan to use when my question clearly states which components are actually connected? Sad to see yet another forum overrun with overly strict moderation requirements that don't fit the context of the post.