[SOLVED] USB pen drive suddenly stopped working. (Device descriptor request failed)

kris_hm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2014
I was using poweriso to make a bootable USB of windows 8 and at about 66% something happened, my computer went into standby and the process paused, i came back to see the process was stuck.

My primary machine OS is Ubuntu and i was using a virtualbox VM running windows 8 to make a bootable USB of windows 8.

So after i realized the process was frozen and so was virtualbox, i had to force quit virtualbox.
During this entire time, my flash drives light was blinking like it was either being read or being written to, even after virtualbox closed. I could not access the USB at all from this point. I unplugged it and plugged it back in to ubuntu.

Linux is not recognizing the drive at all. I also booted into my host windows OS (not the VM) and tried it there. The OS recognized that im plugging a USB in but it tried to install it and when it does it comes back with an error: (USB device unrecognized... yada yada) so it fails the install, and in the device manager it has this entry: Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

I have right clicked this and tried to uninstall and reinstall it but it just comes back the same over and over. I feel like my USB got corrupted, its only 16gb usb 2.0 so its not a huge deal but any ideas what else i can try? Or do you think maybe it just died?

kris_hm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2014
Yes i did try the drive in other computers and it still persists on not working. It is recognized when plugged in but the flash storage never shows up as accessible. I asked because this happened to 2 of my flash drives back to back when doing the same thing... making it a bootable windows usb. But i think it was just bad luck and they both died at the same time. Thanks for the replies.

TRENDING THREADS