USB port blew -- why?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

NSM wrote:

> Lightning strikes up from the best point on the ground. IMO, the safest way
> is to install a lightning rod away from the house (separately guyed) but
> close enough to protect your property. Just don't stick your tongue on it
> when it's stormy out!

It is my understanding that a lightning rod provides a statistical cone of
protection that is approximately the same diameter at the base as the rod
is high. To protect my 65 foot long house would require a rod that is
around 150 feet high, and right next to the chimney. Or perhaps 2 rods
100 feet high on either end of the house.

"Honey, I have to put up a 200 foot ham tower to protect our house from
lightning!"

-Chuck Harris

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 12:18:20 -0400, Chuck Harris
<cf-NO-SPAM-harris@erols.com> wrote:

>It is my understanding that a lightning rod provides a statistical cone of
>protection that is approximately the same diameter at the base as the rod
>is high. To protect my 65 foot long house would require a rod that is
>around 150 feet high, and right next to the chimney. Or perhaps 2 rods
>100 feet high on either end of the house.

Hmm i read in the newspaper once that some university expert says it
was a 30 degrees cone, so that would make it even taller no? :ppPp

The little lost angel wrote:

>>It is my understanding that a lightning rod provides a statistical cone of
>>protection that is approximately the same diameter at the base as the rod
>>is high. To protect my 65 foot long house would require a rod that is
>>around 150 feet high, and right next to the chimney. Or perhaps 2 rods
>>100 feet high on either end of the house.
>

> Hmm i read in the newspaper once that some university expert says it
> was a 30 degrees cone, so that would make it even taller no? :ppPp

Could be, but I would suppose it depends on where you set your probability
threshold. 50%? 80%? 90%?...

The only place where there is a 100% probability of protection is inside
the ground wire, which would correspond to a zero degree cone. My point is
that just having a lightning rod up high somewhere, doesn't necessarily mean
you should expect it will protect your house.

The Navy found that the best protection was afforded by having a horizontal
ground wire over the top of the building to be protected. But again, you
had to put the wire up high enough so it gave you a "tent" with a comfortable
probability of protection from a strike.

I don't think I can talk my wife into allowing such a system.

-Chuck Harris

keith

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 00:07:48 -0400, Chuck Harris wrote:

> The little lost angel wrote:
>
>>>It is my understanding that a lightning rod provides a statistical cone of
>>>protection that is approximately the same diameter at the base as the rod
>>>is high. To protect my 65 foot long house would require a rod that is
>>>around 150 feet high, and right next to the chimney. Or perhaps 2 rods
>>>100 feet high on either end of the house.
>>

>> Hmm i read in the newspaper once that some university expert says it
>> was a 30 degrees cone, so that would make it even taller no? :ppPp
>>

> Could be, but I would suppose it depends on where you set your probability
> threshold. 50%? 80%? 90%?...
>
> The only place where there is a 100% probability of protection is inside
> the ground wire, which would correspond to a zero degree cone. My point is
> that just having a lightning rod up high somewhere, doesn't necessarily mean
> you should expect it will protect your house.
>
> The Navy found that the best protection was afforded by having a horizontal
> ground wire over the top of the building to be protected. But again, you
> had to put the wire up high enough so it gave you a "tent" with a comfortable
> probability of protection from a strike.
>
> I don't think I can talk my wife into allowing such a system.

Chuck, Chuck, Chuck, you obviously haven't tried hard enough. L'Angel is
giving you the ammunition. Tell SWMBO that another of her half agrees
with you. Build that 400' tow^h^h^hlightning arrestor; her life may
depend on it! ...but watch the blinkin' lights. ;-)

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:05:08 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

>> I don't think I can talk my wife into allowing such a system.
>

>Chuck, Chuck, Chuck, you obviously haven't tried hard enough. L'Angel is
>giving you the ammunition. Tell SWMBO that another of her half agrees
>with you. Build that 400' tow^h^h^hlightning arrestor; her life may
>depend on it! ...but watch the blinkin' lights. ;-)

I din say I agreed with having some ugly monstrousity hanging over
anybody's house!!! I was only sharing something I read! But of course
if he could find a way to make a 200ft lightning rod look pretty...
:pPpPpPpP

keith

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:02:19 +0000, The little lost angel wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:05:08 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>
>>> I don't think I can talk my wife into allowing such a system.
>>

>>Chuck, Chuck, Chuck, you obviously haven't tried hard enough. L'Angel is
>>giving you the ammunition. Tell SWMBO that another of her half agrees
>>with you. Build that 400' tow^h^h^hlightning arrestor; her life may
>>depend on it! ...but watch the blinkin' lights. ;-)
>
> I din say I agreed with having some ugly monstrousity hanging over
> anybody's house!!! I was only sharing something I read! But of course
> if he could find a way to make a 200ft lightning rod look pretty...
> :pPpPpPpP

LOL, but Ham antennnas *are* pretty! I even like the look of cell towers.
....business ...money ...good!

--
Keith