Question USB port Issues/keyboard Not working

toha409

Honorable
Mar 12, 2017
Hello

The USB port which powers the keyboard has stopped working and the one which powers the mouse malfunctions intermittently.
I have checked device manager and there are no yellow!‘s, in fact keyboard does not even show up in device manager.
I have tried system restore points, rebooting, unplugging devices even deleting the generic USB hub in device Manager and rebooting to get them back.
upon reboot I see icon at bottom right Indicating device drivers are being installed, ultimately receiving a message installation successful however mouse still working Only intermittently and keyboard still completely dead And still not showing in control panel.

it’s a Windows 7 machine about eight years old , would just like to get it up and running long enough to transfer files.
it seems one by one all the USB ports are dying.
and yes I have tried the keyboard and mouse on another device and they work.

thanks for any input

if not actual hardware failure, possible it's OS or system driver corruption.

first i'd reinstall all of the latest motherboard manufacturer drivers.
if no luck, a fresh OS install. meaning a total disk wipe and reinstallation of the OS.

if neither works out;
maybe finally time for a full system upgrade.

toha409

Honorable
Mar 12, 2017
Thanks
i’m already thinking this is Not a good scenario .
that said is there anyway for me to put the back up Internal hard drive (or the existing main hard drive) into some sort of external case to use as an external drive to back up my files to the new computer.