[SOLVED] USB port still live after shutdown ?

Sep 21, 2021
Hi, I am building an arcade which I have usb powered lights on. When the PC is shut down I dont want the lights to be on. I have An H81M motherboard. I have tried the two deep sleep options S4 / S5. I have enabled USB selective suspend. I have unchecked 'Fast Startup'. & I have gone into each USB properties and checked the 'allow PC to turn off USB'. & I havnt got ASRock App charger installed. I know there have been similar posts but I cant seem to find anything that works for me.

I am now out of ideas! has anyone else got any suggestions? I would be very grateful for you help.

Many thanks

Craig

Solution
I am now out of ideas! has anyone else got any suggestions?
Hmm iirc there is BIOS setting that allow to disable all USB ports at Power off state, lemme check
Try Platform Power - ErP enabled in BIOS...
At least for Gigabyte BIOS it is like that.
But it will disable USB ports at shutdown state completely iirc

Hmmm... looking at your mb manual you don't have ErP.
Try Chipset configuration - Good night LED?
And or Deep sleep setting in this same section
Sep 21, 2021
This motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/H81M-A/E8445_H81M-Series.pdf

[Note: be sure to verify that I found the applicable User Guide.]

Where, what connector is being used to power the usb powered lights? Reference pages 1-3 and 1-4.

Also see Page 1-20 - onboard LED. Does that LED remain on when PC is shutdown?

Hi, Its this one: https://download.asrock.com/Manual/H81M-HG4.pdf

I will check the connector when I get home. Thanks for your reply.

Sep 21, 2021
I’m not sure how u tell which connector sorry. They’re all the ones along the back, not the front. And there are no led lights when the machine is powered off.

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
I am now out of ideas! has anyone else got any suggestions?
Hmm iirc there is BIOS setting that allow to disable all USB ports at Power off state, lemme check
Try Platform Power - ErP enabled in BIOS...
At least for Gigabyte BIOS it is like that.
But it will disable USB ports at shutdown state completely iirc

Hmmm... looking at your mb manual you don't have ErP.
Try Chipset configuration - Good night LED?
And or Deep sleep setting in this same section

Last edited:
Reactions: Schult3y
Solution
Sep 21, 2021
I have good night LED which is set to auto. It says ‘by enabling good night led, the power / lan leds will be switched off when the system is on, it will also automatically switch off the power and keyboard leds when the system enters standby / hibernation mode. Do you think this is what I’m after. I’m scared of Bios! The Deep sleep options are ‘disabled’, ‘enabled in S5’ and enabled in S4 and S5. I have tried those and the usb are still working after shut down?

really appreciate you taking a look for me by the way

Sep 21, 2021
I have sorted it now, There was an option in the Bios to still listen to music / mp3 after the PC is shutdown which had been enabled. Once this was disabled it all shutdown in S5 mode. Thanks for your help