Question USB ports get power but no data

Aug 4, 2020
Hello all,
I'm having issues right now with my USB ports. I currently have an MSI Z97 Gaming 5 MOBO, i7-4790K, 16 GB of RAM, and a GTX 1080. When my mouse and keyboard are plugged in they'll get power when I turn my computer on but after POST they turn off. My USB ports are sending power but there's no data. When I plug a flash drive in it still lights up. I feel like I've tried mostly everything that's every been suggested for this issue. I've tried going into the device manager to select that Windows doesn't power down this port and to also uninstall the USB roots followed by resetting to reinstall them. I tried to flash my BIOS and also install an earlier update to it. I do still have an error symbol next to the USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller listing with error code 10 but everything I've tried from online hasn't gotten rid of it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Aug 4, 2020
Yes I have. Both the ones on the case and the ones on the motherboard. They work fine when hooked up to other computers and the ones that work on those computers don't work in any of the ports.

Aug 4, 2020
When I use the Driver and Support assistant it installs and when i click launch after the installation is done it takes me to the support page that says "need more support information?" or the option to choose my product. When I type in 4790k it doesn't show up.

My mouse and keyboard both work on BIOS. I'm currently using a PS/2 mouse with the on screen keyboard to get around. Both a PS/2 mouse and keyboard both work in my one port on my MOBO. If it matters at all, my keyboard and mouse are both Razer products, however other mice don't get picked up either. I had thought that maybe they are missing the drivers but because the computer doesn't recognize them I can't choose to download the drivers in Razer synapse.

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
Have you tried to not only power off the PC but also turn off the power supply and wait 1 minute then turn it on again and then turn on your PC. Perhaps this will solve this? It solved this issue for me. It is not enough to just turn off the PC from the power button you need to empty out all the remaining electricity and then boot again if you have the same problem I had.

Aug 4, 2020
Have you tried to not only power off the PC but also turn off the power supply and wait 1 minute then turn it on again and then turn on your PC. Perhaps this will solve this? It solved this issue for me. It is not enough to just turn off the PC from the power button you need to empty out all the remaining electricity and then boot again if you have the same problem I had.

Just tried it out but getting the same results.