USB ports keep disconnecting and reconnecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJx

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Ever since I completed building my computer several weeks ago, I have noticed I run into problems with the usb ports in the rear of the computer. Anything plugged in will seemingly randomly disconnect, then reconnect seconds later. The problem is the frequency of this; the disconnects can occur every several minutes, and sometimes in rapid succession.
I am fairly certain that I have all the proper drivers installed, but then again, I'm by no means tech savvy.
I've had no problem with USB ports that are on top of my case, but unfortunately that only limits me to two ports without usb hubs. I've currently got my mouse and keyboard plugged into those, along with one hub for expansion. Meanwhile, my external drives are rendered useless.

Build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core
Cooling: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid
Mobo: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" SSD
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower
PSU: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V

1. I've also looked up solutions and have tried unchecking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under system options, but this does not solve the problem.

andyLP

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
Hey man, i am having exactly the same problem, i posted it about a year ago, but got no response, and i am still getting those things you mention, maybe someone could help us...

KJK1908

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
1. Scroll to the right and type 'Power Options' in the search field and click on it.
2. Click 'Change plan setting' on your chosen plan.
3. Click 'Change advanced power setting' on your chosen plan.
4. Find 'USB settings' and open.
5. Find 'USB selective suspend setting' and change it to disabled.

Chris K

Steve Evets

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

I did all of this, it worked for a couple days and then windows started to disconnect and reconnect again. I've checked and double checked to make sure it stayed disabled so i'm baffled as to what is going on. I cannot format or transfer files without it getting disconnected and reconnected. Please help.

geantas

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
This solution that I found worked perfectly for me:
When booting your PC, enter the BIOS setup and disable USB 3.0 support.
There will be no more USB 3.0, but at least USB devices will not disconnect anynore.

Miiite

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014

You just saved my day.
That was it, and being a WP developer it was driving me crazy !

B Tcs

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
I have a similar problem on my Asus Z97-A motherboard, but I have been able to narrow down the problem. Read on for something interesting...

1) For me, the problem is only with SOME USB 3.0 devices like Card readers and external harddrives (some multidtrive USB 3.0 readers do work, some HDs are temperamental about when they will work) - this is all very weird.
2) But the most weird thing is that the problem only occurs when I join my windows 8.1 pro pc to a domain, as soon as I take it off the domain, the problem goes away - this seems to imply that the domain group policies have something to do with it. But why then do some drives work on and off?

I tried the power options as described in the post (http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2335635/usb-drives-disconnected-reconnected-usb-work-great-usb.html)
and I have tried disabling XHCI as described in the post (http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1885037/windows-usb-devices-disconnect-reconnect-power-saving.html)

None of the above worked.

Dropdisk

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
I've had the same issue for a little while now. Also with a USB 3.0 port. Just one, in fact, and only in combination with one certain HDD. I haven't tried out above steps as I'm in the middle of a clean install. Let's see if that changes things.

PS I love how this thread is over a year old and still going strong.

Spoutinwyze

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
I have a similar issue, except mine doesn't d/c randomly and every few minutes, then r/c 2 seconds later, it is literally a perpetual loop of d/c and r/c. The constant ba-ding, ba-dong, ba-ding, ba-dong , is incredibly annoying to say the least.
This happens on any computer I use, with any cable I use, and I have wiped the phone.
I did root it and this started after an update before I rooted it (Ice Cream sandwich I believe).
The issue exists within the software on the android device. I have posted incredibly detailed steps in other forums and threads throughout the internet, none has any resolution for the issue. Persisting since roughly 2012 i believe?
Don't expect a resolution, ever..
My Solution?, Bought an Anker universal battery charger. bought an extra Li battery for my phone and always have a second charged/charging. When it dies I can swap out.
Note: from time to time the phone will connect and charge as desired.

tongsau

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

I ended up doing the opposite and it seems to work, as it was already disabled.

RobTapps

Reputable
May 23, 2015
i have the same problem on WIN7 with my Asus k73 boarded laptop, odd thing is it is happening to my USB MIDI controllers... and what is even more odd is that the laptop does not have USB 3.0 ports or the option in the bios obvies. tired adjusting the power options hope that works.

chorniko

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015
okey i have a solution for desktops and not for laptops since you will open your motherboard. looking at your mother board you will find some wires and it is named usb 5, usb 6 and so on the motherboard the same as this. http://i.ytimg.com/vi/aE2y30bIejE/maxresdefault.jpg. as you can see there is another socket that can be connected. if your usb wires are connected at usb5 then switch it to usb 6. or just switch it to the other.

I have tried this and it worked because looking at other solutions doesnt solved it except this method. maybe its faulty wires or something. its just a suggestion because it worked for me. hope this helps.

Build:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core
Cooling: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid
Mobo: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" SSD
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower
PSU: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V

1. I've also looked up solutions and have tried unchecking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" under system options, but this does not solve the problem.[/quotemsg]

chorniko

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015
okey i have a solution for desktops and not for laptops since you will open your motherboard. looking at your mother board you will find some wires and it is named usb 5, usb 6 and so on the motherboard the same as this. http://i.ytimg.com/vi/aE2y30bIejE/maxresdefault.jpg. as you can see there is another socket that can be connected. if your usb wires are connected at usb5 then switch it to usb 6. or just switch it to the other.

I have tried this and it worked because looking at other solutions doesnt solved it except this method. maybe its faulty wires or something. its just a suggestion because it worked for me. hope this helps.

RobTapps

Reputable
May 23, 2015
FIXED bend the little tabs on the ports in so they grab on the the indents on the usb plug these tabs can bend slightly causing the usb device to disconnect when moved slightly

captain1978

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

You are the MAN! This was exactly my problem on my Asus laptop. It was doing it with any usb device (mp3 player, android samsung phone, or anything). And I can feel that it was related to a connection/movement issue - even though I wasn't moving anything. It would have its good days and bad days. The slightest movement would send it to a connect disconnect loop, and then it was just endless that I can't do what I need to do with the device!

Thanks for the help and good luck to everyone else.

knoxieman99

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015

I have tried this yet my Nexus 4 keeps reconnecting and disconnecting from my laptop. I have tried updating drivers but it says they are up to date. What do I do to solve this problem. Also do I have to disable On Battery and Plugged in or just one of them. If so which one? I've disabled BOTH of the options available yet it doesn't seem to work. Might just have a faulty cable or something

captain1978

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

Are you having that endless connect/disconnect loop? If so, it might be hardware related and not software. This is likely caused because your laptop literally thinks you are connecting and disconnecting the device that fast and that many times. Since you're obviously not intentionally doing it, then it's probably because your usb cable is losing contact with the usb port on the laptop. Have you tried another usb port on the laptop and another usb cable? If it's not the cable, then have you tried what robtapp mentioned about bending the little tabs in the usb ports on your laptop? Good luck

Mr_Ornstein

Reputable
Sep 25, 2015
So I'm having similar problems, using my laptop (Lenovo S21e). I've used the suggestions from above and nothing seems to be working, but going with the bending of the USB drive, I don't know exactly how to do that. Any suggestions?

korinara

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
JJx: I was having the exact same problem as you, and the solution for me turned out to my USB network adaptor, weirdly enough. More details on that in this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/a-timeout-occurred-while-waiting-for-the-ehci-host/dbb475c6-f048-4c57-b147-068cd7439ecf

Next time it happens, or if you remember the approximate date/time it happened, check your event viewer for errors around that date/time. Check the very first log during the time that it happened--for example, in my case, my error occurred at ~9:43PM. My event log had a skip from 7PM to 9:39PM, so I checked the 9:39PM entry. Under the "general" tab of the Event's "Event Properties" window, check the text box description--it might give you some insight. If not, just paste the description into google (like I did), and I can almost guarantee someone else will have had this issue.

Good luck to everyone else with this problem!

walldoo99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
I was having this problem on my desktop but it was more than just USB devices. My dvd burner didn't read, one hard drive vanished and the computer would crash, but the first thing I noticed was the USE devices d/c and r/c.. I figured out it was my PSU and replaced it with a 750 watt Antec and no issues since. But it's only been a few days. My old wacom tablet quits working and I have to log out and back in to fix that, but I've had that problem since I bought it 3 computers ago.

sailor3rd

Reputable
Apr 21, 2014
Found the solution. I had that same problem. It was temporarily fixed by Windows 8.1 patch KB2911106 but the problem started again after the Windows 8.1 update 1. In my case I have a 2TB seagate external expansion drive. I just redid the same thing after Windows 10 and it worked again.

The fix can be found in the link
http://www.registryrecycler.com/blog/2013/12/how-to-fix...

It requires you to update your register, carefully follow the instructions that are well explained. It works.

Status
Not open for further replies.