[SOLVED] USB Ports losing power randomly

Loader

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Hi all,

My USB ports are randomly losing power. Only way to 'fix' them is to swap to another USB port (but then they fail too after a while) or to restart, where they magically start working again for a while before failing again.

When they lose power, my keyboard/mouse/headset lights are flashing as if the power is fluctuating on and off.

Happening on both front AND back USB ports.

What could be the cause? Motherboard? PSU?

Hoping there may be some hope before I go out and buy a new motherboard.

Thanks,

Loader

Hardware details:

• Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155
  • Corsair 850W HX Modular PSU
  • Asus P8Z68-V LX Socket 1155

Solution
7 years is a long time. Could be time to ugrade. But there is still the option of Powered USB hub. Gets power from the wall. Only needs to connect to 1 USB port on computer. 30-40$.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
How many things do you have connected to USB? They can only provide 500mA of power and 3-4 USB devices is usually the limit. There is some total amount of ampere the motherboard provides.
Connecting wheels, joysticks etc is not a good idea, they draw too much power. Get a powered USB-hub for those.

Loader

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
How many things do you have connected to USB? They can only provide 500mA of power and 3-4 USB devices is usually the limit. There is some total amount of ampere the motherboard provides.
Connecting wheels, joysticks etc is not a good idea, they draw too much power. Get a powered USB-hub for those.

Mouse, keyboard and headset. These 3 things are the only things that have been connected in ~7 years.

Loader

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Could be the ports? It is not unheard of that ports connections drop after years of use. They get damaged.
Check Method 3: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledg...ade-system-to-windows-10-usb-ports-dont-work/
Could be powersaving.
Don't download anything from that page.

Yeh I'm thinking it's the ports. Wondered if there could be something I've not tried. To confirm, here's what I've done so far:

1. Updated drivers
  2. Confirmed devices all work on other machine
  3. Checked and changed power management settings
  4. Changed to a different USB header on mobo
  5. Cried

I guess I need to invest in a new mobo and cpu :(