Question USB Ports not working after MOBO change

JasonSandeman

Honorable
Jan 21, 2015
Before the whole pandemic hit, I had my motherboard fry on my PC I built. I purchased a TUF B-450M Plus board, but since I already had the CPU installed in my old one, I was not confident enough to switch the motherboard, so I got a local repair shop to do it.
When I went to pick up the desktop, the guy told me that you can see all the USB ports in BIOS, but not in windows. Then the pandemic hit, and all the stores that were not essential closed down.
Right now I have 5 USB ports in the back, but only 2 work. I also have 2 x USB 3.0 ports in the front, but they don't work at all.
I am getting into streaming, and I need to have a webcam, microphone, and the usual gaming accessories. Working with 2 ports is problematic.
How do I go about troubleshooting these ports? The shop that I go to is backed up for months, and it looks like I will need to solve the problem myself.

My specs are:

ASUS TUF B450M-Plus Gaming
Kingston SSDNow UV400 120 GB
AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
Deepcool (DA500) 500W power supply
Gigabyte RTX 2070
2 x 8 GB GSkill Aegis DD4 3000 Mhz
Deepcool (Smarter LED) MATX/MINI-ITX
WD BLUE 3D NAND SSD m.2
Seagatge 1 TB HDD

I remember having to call Microsoft to fix the system, but I don't believe it was reinstalled. Ô, à full reinstall should take care of the issue?
How do I see in bios if the ports are working?

I can't guarantee that a Windows reinstall will definitely fix the problem, but I do know that failing to do this after changing motherboard is often the cause of glitches and various unexpected problems. The USB problem is probably a driver issue -- you've got two lots of conflicting motherboard drivers installed (old & new). A fresh Windows install is the only way to fix that.

BIOS won't tell you if USB ports are actually fully working, it will only tell you that they've been detected, and the repair shop has already told you that all USB ports are showing in BIOS.

Reactions: Darkbreeze

JasonSandeman

Honorable
Jan 21, 2015
I contacted Microsoft support, and followed their instructions on reinstalling Win 10. It did not resolve the problem.
I have power coming from the ports, (I can charge things plugged in.)
I don't know what to do going forward. It sucks only having two ports, especially when

USAFRet

Titan
I contacted Microsoft support, and followed their instructions on reinstalling Win 10. It did not resolve the problem.
I have power coming from the ports, (I can charge things plugged in.)
I don't know what to do going forward. It sucks only having two ports, especially when
"followed their instructions".
Which was what? Was the word "reset" involved?

This is how you actually do it.

JasonSandeman

Honorable
Jan 21, 2015
"followed their instructions".
Which was what? Was the word "reset" involved?

This is how you actually do it.
I can't remember off hand (it was about a month ago, and it has been hectic, even though I am locked down.)

I didn't need to back up data, I did a media creation tool, then it installed over everything. I was able to keep all my settings, if that answers anything.

I have a question regarding the installation instructions in the link you gave me. It says to disconnect all SSD devices. Does that include the NAND SSD? Does that mean I would have to pull it out? It goes directly into the MOBO.

USAFRet

Titan
I can't remember off hand (it was about a month ago, and it has been hectic, even though I am locked down.)

I didn't need to back up data, I did a media creation tool, then it installed over everything. I was able to keep all my settings, if that answers anything.

I have a question regarding the installation instructions in the link you gave me. It says to disconnect all SSD devices. Does that include the NAND SSD? Does that mean I would have to pull it out? It goes directly into the MOBO.
All storage devices except the one you are actually installing the OS to.

TRENDING THREADS