Question USB Ports on PC randomly disconnect ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M0_

Commendable
Sep 27, 2020
All the usb ports on my pc keep disconnecting at randoms times and reconnect after about 1 second. I see the rgb on mouse and keyboard turn off and hear the disconnect sound in windows
My pc specs are:
Cpu: Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo: Msi b450 tomahawk
Ram: 2x8gb Crucial 2999mhz
Gpu: Rx 580 Armor Oc
Psu: Corsair cx 550 watts

This started happening recently so I assume it might of been a Bios update or chipset drivers or gpu drivers. I've tried updating them all and also downgrading on multiple different versions. But nothing has helped. I searched online and tried:
  • Turning off Global c-states
  • Turning off XCHI
  • Increasing voltage on cpu and ram (within safe voltages)
  • Reinstalling Windows
  • Clearing Cmos
  • Changing pcie to Gen 3
  • Turning off USB power off within windows from device manager and power plan
  • Made sure all the wires are properly plugged
  • I've also tried plugging a peripheral into the Bios flashback port thinking it might be different because I know that still has some power when the pc is off
Is there anything else I can try?

Ralston18

Titan
How many USB devices are connected to the host PC? Do any of them have their own independent power source or otherwise being served by an independently powered USB hub?

PSU: how old? Original to build, new, refurbished, used? History of heavy gaming use, video editing or bit-mining?

Noted that " all the wires are properly plugged".

Also check inside the case.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Inspect for signs of damage as well.

M0_

Commendable
Sep 27, 2020
How many USB devices are connected to the host PC? Do any of them have their own independent power source or otherwise being served by an independently powered USB hub?

PSU: how old? Original to build, new, refurbished, used? History of heavy gaming use, video editing or bit-mining?

Noted that " all the wires are properly plugged".

Also check inside the case.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place.

Inspect for signs of damage as well.

1. Typically I have a mouse(Hyperx Pulsefire Haste), Keyboard(Corsair K68), Mic(Samson Q2U), and a wireless charger connected, I think its a 5W charger. Ive tried it without the charger connected and it still occurs.
  2. My psu is about 3 years old, bought it new when I built my pc in August of 2019. I guess I have done heavy gaming and some video editing.
  3. I didn't see any damage inside, usb ports are dust free and I did run memtest86 which passed.
  4. Im also currently in the process of upgrading it, I've installed a new Ryzen 7 5800x and RX 6700, just waiting for new power supply which should arrive soon. I'll update this thread if the new psu changes anything.

M0_

Commendable
Sep 27, 2020
  1. Typically I have a mouse(Hyperx Pulsefire Haste), Keyboard(Corsair K68), Mic(Samson Q2U), and a wireless charger connected, I think its a 5W charger. Ive tried it without the charger connected and it still occurs.
  2. My psu is about 3 years old, bought it new when I built my pc in August of 2019. I guess I have done heavy gaming and some video editing.
  3. I didn't see any damage inside, usb ports are dust free and I did run memtest86 which passed.
  4. Im also currently in the process of upgrading it, I've installed a new Ryzen 7 5800x and RX 6700, just waiting for new power supply which should arrive soon. I'll update this thread if the new psu changes anything.
After upgrading my psu to a Phanteks Amp 750W, the issue didn't go away

Status
Not open for further replies.