Question USB ports Only detect external hard disks!

Apr 26, 2019
hello,
i have asus k550v laptop and a big problem happend to me since two weeks or so.
my motherboard only detects External hard drive from usb ports. and no other devices will be detected!

for some devices (like flash memory and other mouses), there is no detection notification (and there is nothing added to device manager). and for some devices (like my own mouse),
there is a detection notification, but windows shows malfunction error.
of course some times when i plug my mouse into usb3 port, i dont get malfunction error, but the mouse either not works, or for every 4-5 seconds, works for 1 moment (im continusly moving mouse while this).

i tested my devices on another device and they work just fine,
i reinstalled windows. installed Obunto, unistalled and reinstalled usb drivers.
downgraded and upgraded BIOS, and none of theese worked...

my other inputs, works fine (like SD card)

take it to my local repairshop and they said if we touch mainboar, its so risky for motherboard to turn off completley and so they didnt do anything on that.

please help me to find what is the problem.

Lutfij

Titan
Are you on the latest BIOS update for your laptop? Just to double check, which version are you on right now? You didn't mention which OS you're currently on. If Windows 10, which version? Did you recreate the installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? See if reinstalling your chipset/USB drivers changes the issue.

Reactions: alireza.pir
Apr 26, 2019
Are you on the latest BIOS update for your laptop? Just to double check, which version are you on right now? You didn't mention which OS you're currently on. If Windows 10, which version? Did you recreate the installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? See if reinstalling your chipset/USB drivers changes the issue.

thanks for your reply,
now im using version 302 of BIOS which is the last version.
im using windows 10 Enterprise LTSC, i tried many other OSs and as i mentioned i Also tested with obunto.
and yes i tried reinstalling the chipset/usb driver and it did Not work...

im almost sure the problem is not software related.