[SOLVED] Usb ports shuts down when transfering heavy files

RjRehal

Prominent
Nov 16, 2020
I am using Asus Tuf b460 mobo . For a year..
And whenever i am transferring data to external hard disk which is more than 10 to 20gb files.. all usb ports shuts down.. this only happens when i transfer from one external hdd to another external hdd..
Same goes for pendrive to pendrive.. all ports disconnect even keyboard and mouse , usb wifi dongle and usb headset too.. ultimately i have to reset my pc to start all ports working again.. and currently i have upgraded my wifi to 200mbps.. when downloading a large files.. and surfing net.. wifi disconnect and connets back.. this never happened on my old wifi which was 50mbps..
Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
Standard advice: open up the Control Panel and check all the Power Options. Make sure everything is set to maximum performance, no usb selective suspend, maximum wifi etc. Then open up the Device Manager. Check the Properties for each usb and wifi/network related device and check the Power Management tab. Make sure the option to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in NOT checked. As for usb device failure: are the external drives overheating and is that causing them to fail? This will sound crazy but I actually bought a hand held rechargeable fan to cool down my external drives during large backups and file copies.

RjRehal

Prominent
Nov 16, 2020
If there is voltage regulation fault or chipset fault.. I have Corsair 750w gold psu and rtx 3070
I have lowered my rtx 3070 from 240w to 200w because at 240w heavy gaming reboots my pc.. but this never happened while i was at 200watts.. is this connected to usb ports problem of motherboard? Because psu is powerful enough to handle such gpu..

have lowered my rtx 3070 from 240w to 200w because at 240w heavy gaming reboots my pc.. but this never happened while i was at 200watts.. is this connected to usb ports problem of motherboard? Because psu is powerful enough to handle such gpu.
Ok, that is quite important information. So with that, you basically confirm that there are a problem related to power supply.

Since you now mention the history about lowering wattage of your 3070, it seems not unlikely that it can be a problem with the PSU. The only practical method to confirm will be to swap to another PSU, or move that PSU to another gaming rig that is in known good condition.

RjRehal

Prominent
Nov 16, 2020
But i never do gaming while transferring files or using usb ports.. so no power usage that time...and before that i had cv650 bronze psu.. it did the same problem at that time i didnt research about psu and then i immediately swapped for 750 gold psu.. using this since a year now.. So you think my Mobo is faulty or Psu?
And to mention all work fine when i am using one thing at a time.. but not in multitasking

Last edited:
Standard advice: open up the Control Panel and check all the Power Options. Make sure everything is set to maximum performance, no usb selective suspend, maximum wifi etc. Then open up the Device Manager. Check the Properties for each usb and wifi/network related device and check the Power Management tab. Make sure the option to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in NOT checked. As for usb device failure: are the external drives overheating and is that causing them to fail? This will sound crazy but I actually bought a hand held rechargeable fan to cool down my external drives during large backups and file copies.

Reactions: Grobe
Solution