Question USB ports work for a random amount of time then "break".

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 15, 2021
I have this weird problem with ALL of my USB ports where they just stop recieving input and my keyboard's lights start flickering and trying to move the mouse, type anything, or try to speak on discord the PC doesnt react in any way. I get output to my headphones but it has some random crackling here and there. Sometimes the USB ports do a thing where for a second the above thing happens but only with my mouse and keyboard. When any of the disconnects or whatever happen the PC acts like if all the things are being pressed down etc. (For example if im moving my mouse and trying to move forward in a game the PC acts like im still holding W and turning my mouse). All this can happen all of a sudden from straight up when i start up the PC to many hours after ive started it up. Rebooting my PC fixes this problem until it happens again. I really dont want to work on any of my game projects since i often forget to save and the game engine doesnt have an autosave feature, meaning that if this USB problem randomly comes up i have to force shutdown my PC, losing all of my progress that i didnt remember to save.

Edit: forgot to add my PC specs, they will be below.

GTX 1050TI 4GB
I5-2500K 3.30GHz
12GB DDR3
1TB crucial ssd
ASUSTeK P8Z68-V PRO
500-550W PSU cant remember exactly maybe even 400-450
Sense eye3
Some philips mini tv
Windows 10 home single language

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021
You can try cleaning the pc and reseating all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers.

Which should be done on a regular basis anyway....

If possible borrow another known working PSU - 600 watts at least.

Install and then test by working as normal. If problems continue check the error codes for any changes.
I noticed a thing where if I put my keyboard and mouse in different USB port things controlled by different USB controllers and only the mouse always stopped working when it did so I tried it with another mouse and now it feels like the USB problems never happened. Ill have to keep testing though just to 100% make sure that that was the thing causing the USB problems.

D

Deleted member 14196

Was it the mouse or the software that you installed for the mouse? My guess is the software and that’s why I never install software that comes with keyboards and mice